Adams Township, Houghton County, Michigan facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Adams Township, Michigan
|• Total||47.7 sq mi (123.6 km2)|
|• Land||47.2 sq mi (122.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,447 ft (441 m)|
|• Density||58.1/sq mi (22.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625801|
- Atlantic Mine is an unincorporated community about five miles (8 km) southwest of Houghton on M-26 at . The ZIP code is 49905. It was settled in 1872.
- Baltic is an unincorporated community southeast of South Range at . It was a station on the Copper Range Railroad and the settlement was founded by and named after the Baltic Mining Company in 1898. A post office operated here from November 6, 1902 until October 10, 1975.
- Painesdale is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Trimountain is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Seeberville is an unincorporated community in the township, immediately southwest of Painesdale.
- South Range is an incorporated village about one mile (1.6 km) south of Atlantic Mine.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 47.7 square miles (124 km2), of which 47.2 square miles (122 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (1.01%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,747 people, 1,011 households, and 630 families residing in the township. The population density was 58.1 per square mile (22.4/km²). There were 1,160 housing units at an average density of 24.6 per square mile (9.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 92.61% White, 5.17% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.55% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.22% from other races, and 1.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.62% of the population. 47.1% were of Finnish, 8.6% Italian, 7.8% German and 5.6% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,011 households out of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.5% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.6% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 10.2% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 124.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 132.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $28,776, and the median income for a family was $35,903. Males had a median income of $26,739 versus $20,099 for females. The per capita income for the township was $12,741. About 8.0% of families and 11.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.6% of those under age 18 and 14.4% of those age 65 or over.
Adams Township, Houghton County, Michigan Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.