Adobe Systems facts for kids
Adobe headquarters in San Jose, California
|Traded as||NASDAQ: ADBE
S&P 500 component
Adobe Inc., commonly known as Adobe (previously Adobe Systems Incorporated), is an American multinational computer software company. The company is headquartered in San Jose, California, United States. Adobe has historically focused upon the creation of multimedia and creativity software products, with a more recent foray towards rich Internet application software development. It is best known for Photoshop, an image editing software, Acrobat Reader, the Portable Document Format (PDF), and Adobe Creative Suite, as well as its successor, Adobe Creative Cloud.
Adobe was founded in December 1982 by John Warnock and Charles Geschke, who established the company after leaving Xerox PARC in order to develop and sell the PostScript page description language. In 1985, Apple Computer licensed PostScript for use in its LaserWriter printers, which helped spark the desktop publishing revolution.
As of 2015[update], Adobe has about 15,000 employees worldwide, about 40% of whom work in San Jose. Adobe also has major development operations in Newton, Massachusetts; New York City, New York; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Lehi, Utah; Seattle, Washington; and San Francisco, California in the United States.
- Adobe Flash – One of their most famous products. It allows the user to create animations.
- Adobe Dreamweaver – Dreamweaver is used to create websites.
- Adobe Reader – Can display .PDF files, used for documents. Adobe Reader can be downloaded for free.
- Adobe Acrobat – Acrobat can display .PDF files and can convert them to other formats.
- Adobe Photoshop – Graphics program. A big step for computers. Users can create drawings in Photoshop and they can edit images.
- Adobe Creative Suite – Contains many different Adobe software.
- Adobe After Effects – A high quality video editing software.
Adobe Systems Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.