Albion (town), Orleans County, New York facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsAlbion
|Elevation||600 ft (182.9 m)|
|Area||25.4 sq mi (65.8 km²)|
|- land||25.2 sq mi (65 km²)|
|- water||0.1 sq mi (0 km²), 0.39%|
|Density||333.4 /sq mi (128.7 /km²)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
The Town of Albion was created in 1875 by the division of the Town of Barre. The population in 1890 was 1,304.
Mount Albion Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 25.4 square miles (65.7 km²), of which 25.2 square miles (65.3 km²) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.3 km²) (0.47%) is water.
The Erie Canal passes through the town.
New York State Route 31A and New York State Route 98 intersect near the south town line, and New York State Route 31 passes across the town east to west.
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,468 people, 2,559 households, and 1,564 families residing in the town. There were 2,847 housing units. The racial makeup of the town was 76.3% White, 17.6% Black or African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 2.3% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.4% of the population.
There were 2,559 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.3% were married couples living together, 15.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% were non-families. 31.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.11.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,986.00. About 16.9% of the population were below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in the Town of Albion
- Albion – The Village of Albion, the county seat, is at the junction of NY-31 and NY-98 at the north town line.
- Albion Correctional Facility – A New York prison for women is west of Albion village on NY Route 31.
- Bentons Corners – A former location south of Albion village.
- Eagle Harbor Station – A hamlet west of Albion village.
- Orleans Correctional Facility – A NY state prison.
- Orleans County Sheriff's Office – The headquarters of the county's sheriffs office is located in the town.
- Riches Corners – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
Albion (town), Orleans County, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.