Alma, Wisconsin facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Alma's business district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Location of Alma in Buffalo County, Wisconsin.
|• Total||7.90 sq mi (20.47 km2)|
|• Land||5.31 sq mi (13.75 km2)|
|• Water||2.59 sq mi (6.72 km2)|
|Elevation||673 ft (205 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||135.40/sq mi (52.28/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1560795|
The motto for the city of Alma is: "Step into Living History."
Alma was named in commemoration of the Battle of Alma, in the Crimean War.
Alma is located on State Route 35. Is about 6 miles (9.7 km) east of Wabasha, Minnesota.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.91 square miles (20.49 km2), of which, 5.27 square miles (13.65 km2) is land and 2.64 square miles (6.84 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 781 people, 386 households, and 202 families living in the city. The population density was 148.2 inhabitants per square mile (57.2/km2). There were 488 housing units at an average density of 92.6 per square mile (35.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.5% White, 0.1% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.1% Asian, and 0.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.6% of the population.
There were 386 households, of which 17.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.7% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 47.7% were non-families. 41.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 21% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.95 and the average family size was 2.62.
The median age in the city was 50.3 years. 15.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.3% were from 25 to 44; 30% were from 45 to 64; and 27.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.0% male and 49.0% female.
Economy and recreation
The Great Alma Fishing Float has been an attraction to tourists, and is particularly popular during the annual walleye run. It is located next to Lock & Dam Number 4 on the Mississippi River. Mississippi River Lock and Dam No. 4, is a major nesting ground for the bald eagles that can be observed with great frequency from Alma's riverbank. Also located in Alma is Castlerock Museum, a collection of arms and armor from the times of the Romans to the Middle Ages.
- Alma Generating Station
- John P. Madgett Generating Station
- Carol Bartz, CEO of Yahoo!, former chairman of the board, president, and CEO of Autodesk, Inc.
- John W. DeGroff, Member of the Wisconsin Senate from the 24th district
- Arnold Gesell, psychologist
- Edmund Hitt, Wisconsin state legislator
- John Hunner, Wisconsin State Treasurer
- Doug Kane, Illinois legislator
- Robert Lees, Wisconsin state legislator
- James Arthur Mathieu, Canadian lumber king
- Conrad Moser, Jr., Wisconsin state legislator
- Peter Polin, Wisconsin politician and businessman
- Frank Schaettle, Wisconsin state legislator
- John Tester, businessman and Wisconsin state legislator
- Kathleen Vinehout, Member of the Wisconsin Senate from the 31st district
Alma, Wisconsin Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.