Arjuna facts for kids
|Children||Srutakarma (from draupadi), Abhimanyu (from subhadra), Iravan from (Ulupi) & Babruvahana from (Chitrāngadā) (sons). Pragati (daughter from Draupadi) .|
|Relatives||Pandavas,Vali : (brothers) ; Krishna,Balarama : (cousins) ; Kunti,Pandu,Indra : Parents|
Arjuna is the second main character of the Indian epic Mahabharata. He plays a main role in the Bhagavad Gita alongside Krishna. It is believed that Arjuna was the best archer and greatest warrior in the world at their times. He was the third of the Pandava brothers. He was married to Draupadi, Ulupi, Chitrāngadā and Subhadra (Krishna's and Balarama's sister). His children included Srutakarma, Iravan, Babruvahana , Abhimanyu and Pragati.
Battles fought at Kurukshetra
Arjuna was a key Pandava warrior and played a huge role in the Pandava victory in the Kurukshetra war. Lord Hanuman stayed on Arjuna's chariot flag.
Some of the crucial battles fought by Arjuna are as follows:
- Fall of Bhishma: According to original Mahabharat, Arjuna fairly killed Bhishma on 10th day of the Kurukshetra war. Shikhandi does not have any role in this, though as per one narrative it is Shikhandi who killed Bhishma.
- Death of Bhagadatta: On the 12th day of the war, Arjuna killed Bhagadatta- the mighty warrior and the King of Pragjyotisha kingdom.
- Death of Jayadratha: Arjuna came to know that Jayadratha blocked the other four Pandavas, at entrance of Chakravyuha, due to which Abhimanyu entered alone and was killed unfairly by multiple Kaurava warriors on the 13th day of the war. Arjuna vowed to kill him the very next day before sunset, failing which he would kill himself by jumping in a fire. The Kauravas hid Jayadratha from Arjuna in a formation, knowing that Arjuna's death would result in a Kaurava victory. Arjuna defeated all protectors of Jaydratha including Karna, Drona, Kripa and Ashwatthama and killed Jayadratha. Jayadratha had a boon from his father that whoever would be responsible for his head falling to the ground would have his own head blown up. So, Arjuna killed Jayadratha with an arrow.
- Killing of the Trigartas: On the 17th day of the war, Arjuna killed all the Trigartas.
- Killing of Samsaptakas: On the 17th day of the war, Arjuna killed all the Samsaptakas.
- Killing Susharma: On the 17th day of the war, Arjuna killed Susharma- the ruler of Trigartas.
- Killing Vrishasena: Arjuna killed Vrishasena on 17th day of war. Arjuna gave the challenge to Karna to save his son and attacked Vrishasena fiercely and fired 4 razor headed arrows, cutting off Vrishasena's bow, his two arms and then his head infront of Karna, who failed to protect his son.
- Death of Karna: The much anticipated battle between Arjuna and Karna took place on the 17th day of war. The battle continued fiercely and Arjuna killed Karna using Anjalikastra.
Images for kids
Arjuna Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.