Belle Plaine, Iowa facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Belle Plaine, Iowa
Location of Belle Plaine, Iowa
|• Total||3.19 sq mi (8.27 km2)|
|• Land||3.18 sq mi (8.23 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||827 ft (252 m)|
|• Density||732.93/sq mi (283.00/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0454495|
Belle Plaine was founded in 1862 when it was certain the railroad would be extended to that point. "Belle Plaine" is derived from the French meaning "beautiful plain".
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.23 square miles (8.37 km2), of which, 3.22 square miles (8.34 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
The Iowa River flows roughly southeastward just south of the city airport.
Iowa Highway 21 passes through Belle Plaine providing north to south travel from Waterloo to Hedrick and connections with both state and US east to west highways, U.S. Highway 30 north of town and Iowa Highway 212 south of town.
The railroad provides east to west freight service to the city.
The city airport is located on the south side of the town.
|Source: and Iowa Data Center
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,534 people, 1,101 households, and 659 families living in the city. The population density was 787.0 inhabitants per square mile (303.9/km2). There were 1,258 housing units at an average density of 390.7 per square mile (150.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.8% White, 0.3% African American, 0.4% Asian, 0.7% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.
There were 1,101 households, of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.9% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 40.1% were non-families. 34.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.90.
The median age in the city was 42.8 years. 23.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.5% were from 25 to 44; 28.2% were from 45 to 64; and 19.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.9% male and 51.1% female.
The Belle Plaine Community School District provides education services to the Belle Plaine area. The district is one of three school districts serving Benton County. Belle Plaine High School and the junior high school are co-located. Longfellow Elementary school provides pre-K through 6th grade education.
- George Alexander, 28th Mayor of Los Angeles; lived several years in Belle Plaine.
- Marjorie Cameron, artist, occultist, actress, and wife of rocket pioneer and occultist Jack Parsons.
- Steve Carl, mixed martial artist.
- William Dana Ewart, invented and patented the linked belt.
- Henry B. Tippie, businessman in the NYSE Hall of Fame was born Belle Plaine
- Tom McLaury, outlaw cowboy; grew up in Belle Plaine.
- Earl Moran, 20th century pin-up and glamour artist was born in Belle Plaine in 1893.
- Hap Moran, New York Giants football star, was born in Belle Plaine in 1901.
- Lonnie Nielsen, professional golfer, was born in Belle Plaine in 1953.
- Frank Wearne, raced seven times in the Indianapolis 500
- Rod Rust, former New England Patriots Head Coach coached Belle Plain High School in 1954-1955
- Henry Tippie, businessman, was born in Belle Plaine
In Spanish: Belle Plaine (Iowa) para niños
Belle Plaine, Iowa Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.