Canimals facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsCanimals
|Created by||Vooz Character System|
|Written by||Stuart Kenworthy
|Creative director(s)||Yoo Kyung Kim
|Voices of||Marie Fagundo
Martial Le Minoux
|Theme music composer||Simon Russell|
|Country of origin||South Korea
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||109|
|Executive producer(s)||Carlos Biern
Yoo Kyoung Kim
Sun Kyung Jung
|Producer(s)||Sarah FellChey Lee
|Running time||5 Minutes|
|Production company(s)||Voozclub Co., Ltd.|
|Distributor||Aardman (UK) (season 1 only)
BRB Internacional (International)
|Original network||CITV (season 1)|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080p|
|First shown in||EBS TV|
|Original release||2 March 2011– Present|
Canimals (literally can-animals) (캐니멀, kaenimeol), also known as Canimals: We Can Do It!, is a British-South Korean-Spanish live-action/CGI animated hybrid television series by Voozclub Co., Ltd. The main characters are Ato, Mimi, Uly, Fizzy, Nia, Oz, Pow, Toki, and Leon. Internationally, the series has aired in the United Kingdom through CITV and worldwide through ITV Network.
The Show has received generally positive reviews with praise going to its novel materials and high-quality production.
Canimals are adorable creatures in the form of cylinders that carry colorful cans. Canimals are always interested in what is going on around them and have a lot of questions. They hide in their cans when humans are nearby. Even the most mundane objects hold something different and fascinating for the Canimals.
- Ato - A Beagle in a can. In the episode title cards, he displays the Canimals logo.
- Oz - A white cat in a can. She frequently gets herself into more trouble than she can manage, but she's smart and can get away with just about anything.
- Uly - A hungry Pug in a can. He eats everything he sees without hesitation.
- Mimi - A bossy poodle in a can. Her ears are used to target the others on occasion. She treats the other Canimals with a touch of malice of her long ears.
- Pow - A Great Owl in a can. He will debilitate the other Canimals by shooting laser waves from his pupils. He is capable of carrying others with his claws as can be seen in some episodes.
- Fizzy - An Siamese cat in a can. He aspires to live a ninja lifestyle, but everything he does backfires.
- Toki - A hyperactive Rabbit in a can. He can't manage to keep his footing on the deck. When music is on, he loves to dance.
- Nia - A timid and gentle kitten in a can. When she is scared or furious, she lets out a sonic scream, but it only happens when something scares her.
- Leon - A Chameleon in a can. He has the ability to turn invisible and move with his tongue.
- Woo-ang - A bull terrier who's always happy.
- Peng - A penguin with his twin sister Gwen.
- Boco - A giant squirrel who is really angry with Ato, Toki and Nia from the episode "Canned Nuts". Boco lives on Nuts. He is the Leader of the Cocoboses.
- Cocoboses are tiny squirrels. They love metal nuts and bolts.
- Gwen - A penguin with her twin brother Peng.
- Wooga - A gorilla who hates dogs or all kind of animals, but he loves cats. Wooga gets angry sometimes and he roars very loudly.
- Koby - A turtle who hates spicy food. He is kind, grumpy, furious and happy. He gets nervous sometimes.
- Pip - Black and white cat who is Ato's enemy/Friend. She was nicknamed Mini Pip when Mimi and Nia cared for her. But when Pip turns back to a black and white Giant cat, she will become evil.
- Lion De Capri - A lion who is really angry. He chased the Canimals and he roared very loudly.
- Olive - A skunk but she is brown instead. She falls in love with a sock puppet and farts from the episode "Trash Can".
- Bobby - A grizzly bear who chased from Ato, Toki and Nia from the episode of Canned Nuts.
- Woong - A brownish seal with his twin brother Ung.
- Ung - A bluish seal with his twin brother Woong.
- Dal - A Dalmatian dog his three youngers called the Dallies.
- Elly - An elephant that loves bubbles and blows them with her trunk from the episode "Bubbles".
- Bebe - is a bat in a can.
- The Dallies are three little Dalmatian puppies who are related to Dal.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||1||"Music of the Night"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney||10 October 2011|
|Toki's interest in listening to a human's MP3 player at night ends up disturbing Uly, Mimi and Leon's sleep.|
|2||2||"Pool Can"||Antony Gusscott||Alan Keane & Jesse Cleverly||11 October 2011|
|It's a hot day and Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi and Toki get the idea of turning a kitchen sink into a swimming pool.|
|3||3||"Can vs. Shell"||Jun Suc Lim||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||12 October 2011|
|Fizzy ends up having to battle a hermit crab for a shiny ring that he drops into a fish tank.|
|4||4||"Toki in Love"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney||13 October 2011|
|Toki falls in love with a can of carrots but Mimi wants to break them up ASAP.|
|5||5||"Uly and the Apple"||Jun Suc Lim||Declan de Barra||14 October 2011|
|Uly and Pow fight for the right to an apple tree, though the apples have some unforeseen side effects on Uly...|
|6||6||"Paint Cans"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||15 October 2011|
|Mimi demands that Ato, Oz and Leon paint a picture of her, though their paintings turn out less than satisfactory...|
|7||7||"Super Can"||Chey Lee||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||16 October 2011|
|Fizzy tries his best to imitate a superhero he has seen on the television.|
|8||8||"Kiss and Make Up"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||17 October 2011|
|Oz, Mimi and Nia hold a beauty pageant to see who can win a sweet trophy. Oz has a plan to beat Mimi so Oz use Uly to be her in disguise.|
|9||9||"Mistake Can ID"||Chey Lee||Alan Keane & Richard Starzak||18 October 2011|
|The choice is clear for Uly when he finds some money for a vending machine: a chocolate bar or a trapped Mimi?|
|10||10||"School Pet"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||19 October 2011|
|Nia makes friend with a gold fish, but Uly wants to eat it.|
|11||11||"Rocket Can"||Jun Suc Lim||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||20 October 2011|
|When their ball is knocked out of reach by Ato and Toki use a soft drink can as a rocket to get it back.|
|12||12||"Snow Cans"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||21 October 2011|
|Ato, Oz and Uly are in the snow. Ato and Oz find a snow sledge and take it for a ride, but they also have to outride a snowball rolling their way.|
|13||13||"Can't Blame Me"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||22 October 2011|
|Mimi and Nia take in a new Canimal named Pip, but Pip wants to eat alive the pet bird, so Ato must find a solution to defeat him.|
|14||14||"Can Eats Can"||Chey Lee||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||23 October 2011|
|Leon had found a choc snack bar When Uly falls in love with a vending machine, but must contend with Leon in order to get at the treats inside.|
|15||15||"Canned Nuts"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||24 October 2011|
|Ato, Toki and Nia stumble upon an urban complex, but Boco and his Cocobosses don't take kindly to their intrusion.|
|16||16||"Can Napper"||Chey Lee||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||25 October 2011|
|Mimi and a male bull terrier named Wooang race across the city to rescue Uly, who has gotten himself trapped in a suitcase.|
|17||17||"Sleeprolling Can"||Chey Lee||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||26 October 2011|
|When Ato, Uly, Mimi and Leon were asleep. Poor Nia has her work cut out when she has to prevent a sleepwalking Mimi from getting hurt or worse still, being discovered by humans...|
|18||18||"Wasp"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||27 October 2011|
|Pow ends up getting stung when he angers a swarm of wasps.|
|19||19||"Baby Doll"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||28 October 2011|
|Mimi and Nia try to return a baby doll to its stroller.|
|20||20||"Canimalism"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||29 October 2011|
|Mimi, Toki and Leon end up running for their lives when Uly views them as food.|
|21||21||"Encanted"||Antony Gusscott||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||30 October 2011|
|Toki and Nia stumble across a magician's magic set, which has some unforeseen effects on Nia...|
|22||22||"Egg roll"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||31 October 2011|
|With Pow and Leon, you get egg roll; that is, Pow wants to hatch an egg but Leon also wants to eat it...|
|23||23||"Shiny Cans"||Jun Suc Lim||Alan Keane & Jesse Cleverly||1 November 2011|
|Excluded from playing with Mimi and Nia, Oz uses Uly to steal the kitchen equipment the girls play with.|
|24||24||"Dolly Disaster"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||2 November 2011|
|Nia won't calm down when a doll she likes gets stuck on top of the light, so Ato and Oz try to get it back.|
|25||25||"Can of the Castle"||Jun Suc Lim||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||3 November 2011|
|Mimi ends up fighting back to reclaim a sandcastle that has been taken over by Oz and Uly.|
|26||26||"Doppelcanner"||Hyun Joo Lee||Alan Keane||4 November 2011|
|Leon bullied out of his share of cereal comes up with a plan to 'masquerade' as Uly and Mimi is bad enough, what happens when there are two them?|
|27||27||"Ants and Cans"||Chey Lee||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||5 November 2011|
|Uly, Fizzy and Toki end up on the wrong side of a colony of ants that they keep taking food from.|
|28||28||"Vase"||Jun Suc Lim||James Henry||6 November 2011|
|Uly, Pow, Toki and Leon end up stuck in a glass vase when they fight over Nia's lollipop.|
|29||29||"Can-oodling"||Antony Gusscott||Mark Hodkinson||7 November 2011|
|Mimi becomes smitten over a doll of a groom.|
|30||30||"Candid Camera"||Jun Suc Lim||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||8 November 2011|
|Nia becomes convinced that Uly is trapped inside a camera.|
|31||31||"Leave Me a Gnome"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||9 November 2011|
|Oz and Leon plays a prank on Mimi and Nia involving garden gnomes.|
|32||32||"Can-ouflage"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||10 November 2011|
|Fizzy will try to do anything to get a piece of a muffin Mimi finds, even if it means disguising himself...|
|33||33||"Bully Cans"||Antony Gusscott||Alan Keane||11 November 2011|
|Bullied by Oz and Toki, Nia snaps and mans a remote-controlled robot to terrorize them.|
|34||34||"Trapped Can"||Jun Suc Lim||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||12 November 2011|
|Uly becomes stuck in a teacup and Ato, Mimi, Toki and Leon have to free him before someone discovers.|
|35||35||"Once Upon a Can"||Chey Lee||Alan Keane||13 November 2011|
|Ato, Uly, Mimi, Pow and Fizzy were a sleep. While a mother reads Rapunzel to her daughter, Mimi dreams about getting the kiss of a prince.|
|36||36||"Can Can Fly"||Jun Suc Lim||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||14 November 2011|
|Toki hops about with some balloons but inadvertently gets Uly and Mimi tied up in the string...|
|37||37||"Skater Can"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||15 November 2011|
|Ato, Oz, Uly and Leon discover an abandoned roller-skate, they decide to ride about on it for fun. Oz decides she wants to have the skate all for herself.|
|38||38||"Heavy Jelly"||Jun Suc Lim||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||16 November 2011|
|Toki gets himself trapped in a bowl of blue-colored jelly when it sets, so Uly, Mimi and Nia try to free him before he is humiliated.|
|39||39||"Chili Can Carnage"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||17 November 2011|
|Oz, Fizzy, Wooang and a male turtle canimal named Koby discover some cold leftovers and fiery chilies. Oz feeds the chilies to Koby things begin to heat up.|
|40||40||"Trash Can"||Antony Gusscott||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||18 November 2011|
|Ato has a cold and makes friends with a smelly sock puppet. Mimi and Fizzy do all they can to break up this stinky relationship between the two...|
|41||41||"Can Zilla"||Jun Suc Lim||Alan Keane||19 November 2011|
|One of Oz's pranks, involving some glue, goes haywire when Pow, Toki, Nia, and Leon get stuck together.|
|42||42||"Moustak Can"||Chey Lee||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||20 November 2011|
|Ato, Uly and Toki find themselves dealing with many mousetraps.|
|43||43||"Mama Can"||Jun Suc Lim||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||21 November 2011|
|Oz, Mimi, Pow, Toki, Peng, Gwen and Capri all mistake a cake for their various love interests...|
|44||44||"Classroom"||Won Cheol Lee||Heena Baek||22 November 2011|
|Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Fizzy and Nia play about in a classroom and Ato, Oz, Mimi and Nia meet a goldfish that does almost anything they do.|
|45||45||"Coffee Cans"||Jun Suc Lim||Ian Carney, Richard Preddy, Mark Hodkinson, James Henry & Stuart Kenworthy||23 November 2011|
|Outside on a cold day Mimi, Pow, Fizzy and Leon discover a half-filled cup of coffee radiating warmth. Mimi wants it all to herself and has to outwit the others.|
|46||46||"Can Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"||Jun Suc Lim||Soojin Choi & Jose L. Ucha||24 November 2011|
|Pow falls in love with the cuckoo of a cuckoo clock, a relationship that Leon won't take seriously.|
|47||47||"Wild Can"||Won Cheol Lee & Antony Gusscott||Heena Baek||25 November 2011|
|Capri gives chase to Ato, Oz and Nia around a garden.|
|48||48||"Mimi's Birthday"||Jun Suc Lim||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||26 November 2011|
|Mimi desperately tries to defend a birthday cake from Uly, Fizzy and Leon thinking it is hers alone.|
|49||49||"Vacuum Can"||Antony Gusscott||Richard Preddy||27 November 2011|
|Uly, Fizzy and Leon get in a tussle with a vacuum and Uly eventually has to be rescued from it. Wooang and Capri are in the vacuum|
|50||50||"King Can"||Chey Lee||Alan Keane & Jesse Cleverly||28 November 2011|
|In a warehouse, Uly, Mimi and Nia discover a gorilla Canimal named Wooga, who abducts Nia.|
|51||51||"Canimal Magnetism"||Jun Suc Lim||Ian Carney, Mark Hodkinson, Stuart Kenworthy, Tom Parkinson & Andrew Lavery||29 November 2011|
|A simple prank by Leon involving fridge magnets goes awry when Ato becomes increasingly attractive to the kitchen utensils.|
|52||52||"Florence Nighting Can"||Antony Gusscott||Alan Keane||30 November 2011|
|Mimi and Nia get the idea of playing doctors and nurses, but Uly, Toki and Leon aren't willing to receive treatment...|
|53||53||"Can Race"||Jun Suc Lim||TBD||TBD|
|Where are the keys? Let's watch Ato, Oz and Toki do with the keys!|
|54||54||"Frozen Can"||Jun Suc Lim||TBD||TBD|
|What kind of canimals lives in the fridge? Starved Uly went inside the fridge this time. Uly meet a Peng and Gwen inside of the fridge. What's going to happen to Uly?|
|55||55||"Fly to the Sky"||Jun Suc Lim||TBD||TBD|
|Who wants to go on an adventure? Ato, Oz and Mimi are ready for it! Let's hop on their rides!|
|Nia was left alone in a room full of Halloween items. Pow help Nia to face her fears. Is Nia going to have a nightmare tonight?|
|57||57||"Cans 'n' Socks"||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Christmas is coming! Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Fizzy and Nia are getting their stockings ready for gifts. Get yours ready too!|
- Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi and Nia swim in an aquarium with Koby, Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Pow and Elly blow bubbles, Nia gets stuck in a clay vase, so Ato, Uly, Mimi and Leon try to free her, and Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi and Fizzy are stranded on a desert island.
- Ato, Oz, Mimi and Wooang make things out of recyclables, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Fizzy, Nia and Toki ride a toy glider, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Nia and Leon enjoy a day on a boat and Ato, Oz, Uly and Mimi try to run a kid café for entertaining Dal and his Dallies.
- Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Fizzy, Nia and Leon produce their own movie, Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Fizzy, Nia and Leon solve a mirror mystery, Ato, Pow, Fizzy, Nia and Leon play with dominoes and Oz, Uly, Mimi and Nia make music with raindrops, Woong and Ung like the music.
- Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi and Nia make science experiments, Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Pow and Fizzy have fun with their shadows, Mimi, Uly, Toki, Nia and Pow look at stars through a telescope and Ato, Oz, Mimi, Nia and Capri fly kites but Capri does not like that they have kites as well.
- Ato, Uly, Mimi, Fizzy, Toki and Nia protect Christmas presents, Ato, Uly, Mimi, Nia and Pow are scared of Halloween, but they try to enjoy it and Oz helps them, Ato, Oz, Uly, Mimi, Pow, Peng & Gwin bake cookies and Mimi learns a lesson about anger with Nia's help.
- Oz invents a ray gun in her workshop; Fizzy and Leon practice martial arts.
- Fizzy has a standoff over a ball of yarn; Ato's garden yields a crop of fresh carrots.
- Fizzy faces a new martial arts opponent; Uly whips something up in the kitchen.
- Oz tries to tell the squirrels apart; Oz and Nia plan a surprise birthday party for Mimi.
- Mimi's friends throw her an unusual birthday party; Pow eats blueberry seeds.
- Nia befriends a frozen gorilla that is found in Ato's garden.
- The gorilla gets lured back to the jungle by Ato and Oz; Mimi and Nia play hide-and-seek.
- The Canimals join Toki for a dance; Uly gets zapped into Ato's garden.
BRB International manages all the series’ rights on the Iberian Peninsula.
The series was picked up by Netflix in November 2015, and the entire series was available until June 2019 when it was pulled.
Canal+ managed the series rights In France where it aired on TeleTOON+.
For all of Europe, the Japanese toy company Tomy released their Canimals Toys range, which included plushes, toy figures, electronics, arts and crafts, and capsule toys.
Academy Plastic Model Co.,Ltd, A Korean plastic model, chemical, and toy company, Released their line of canimals toys in 2015. Their Line Included Vinyl Figures and Plastic Kits.
Samsonite, a luggage manufacturer and retailer released their line of Canimals travel luggage in 2012.
On July 7, 2012, the show's website officially launched. Aardman was tasked with creating a website for the series, and the site included clips, games, and downloads. In 2019, the website was shut down.
Between February 1, 2011 and January 18, 2012, Canimals had a slew of mobile apps launched. By April 19, 2013, the Apps Together had received about 3,800,000 downloads. These apps (with the exception of Canimals Golf. ) were taken down at an unspecified time.
Flash games were available for fans to play on the Canimals website. Since the website was shut down in 2019, these games are no longer playable.
Cantasia was a game on the popular social media website Facebook. The game was released sometime in November 2012. The game was developed by online game developer, Playplus. The game put players into the world of canimals and let them create their own Cantasia World. The Game initially Featured one minigame, Canimals Match 3, which was later released as a standout app later that December exclusively on Samsung mobile devices. The release of the Game was the first time the Canimals brand was brought into the United States. The website was retired and at an unknown date.
Awards and nominations
Canimals won as the best for kids 7–10 at the 2010 Kids' Jury and nominated for the Licensing Challenge in MIPJR 2010. It was also placed 2nd among more than 1,000 works at MIPCOM Junior 2009 where It won the best animation award. In 2011, it won the Grand Prize (President Award) at the Korean Content Awards.
Home media releases
In the UK, ITV Studios Home Entertainment released Volume 1 on 29 January 2011.
Canimals Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.