College Football Hall of Fame facts for kids
|College Football Hall of Fame|
Exterior of the current College Football Hall of Fame
|Established||August 23, 2014|
|Location||250 Marietta St. NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30313
|Type||College sports hall of fame|
|Director||John W. Stephenson Jr.|
The College Football Hall of Fame is a hall of fame and museum devoted to college football. The National Football Foundation (NFF) launched the Hall in 1951 to immortalize the players and coaches of college football.
From 1995 to 2012, the Hall was located in South Bend, Indiana. It was connected to a convention center and situated in the city's renovated downtown district, 2 miles (3.2 km) south of the University of Notre Dame campus.
In August 2014, the College Football Hall of Fame and Chick-fil-A Fan Experience opened in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. The facility is a 94,256 square feet (8,756.7 m2) attraction, exhibit and event space with interactive displays and a 45-yard indoor football field, located in the heart of Atlanta’s sports, entertainment and tourism district, and is adjacent to the Georgia World Congress Center and Centennial Olympic Park.
As of 2017, there are 987 players and 214 coaches enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame, representing 306 schools.
Criteria for induction
The National Football Foundation outlines specific criteria that may be used for evaluating a possible candidate for induction into the Hall of Fame.
- A player must have received major first team All-America recognition.
- A player becomes eligible for consideration 10 years after his last year of intercollegiate football played.
- Football achievements are considered first, but the post-football record as a citizen is also weighed.
- Players must have played their last year of intercollegiate football within the last 50 years.
- The nominee must have ended his professional athletic career prior to the time of the nomination.
- Coaches must have at least 10 years of head coaching experience, coached 100 games, and had at least a .600 winning percentage.
Images for kids
College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind. featured a newly installed Sprinturf artificial turf field. The South Bend location closed on Dec. 31, 2012.
College Football Hall of Fame Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.