Copenhagen, New York facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Copenhagen, New York
|• Total||1.18 sq mi (3.04 km2)|
|• Land||1.18 sq mi (3.04 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||1,165 ft (355 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||656.46/sq mi (253.57/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||947413|
Copenhagen is a village in Lewis County, New York, United States. The village is situated between Watertown and Lowville. The population was 801 at the 2010 census. The village is named after Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark.
Copenhagen was formerly known as "Mungers Mills."
Pinckney Corners Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.
Copenhagen is located at(43.893078, -75.672474).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), all land.
Copenhagen is on New York State Route 12, Main Street, south of the Jefferson County line.
The village is located by the Deer River.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 865 people, 318 households, and 237 families residing in the village. The population density was 720.0 people per square mile (278.3/km2). There were 383 housing units at an average density of 318.8 per square mile (123.2/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 94.91% White, 1.27% African American, 0.23% Native American, 1.85% from other races, and 1.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.77% of the population.
There were 318 households, out of which 42.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.2% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.2% were non-families. 21.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 31.8% under the age of 18, 13.3% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 15.1% from 45 to 64, and 8.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $32,273, and the median income for a family was $35,781. Males had a median income of $30,147 versus $25,156 for females. The per capita income for the village was $12,780. About 10.8% of families and 13.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.0% of those under age 18 and 15.2% of those age 65 or over.
For the population 25 years and over in Copenhagen:
- High school or higher: 84.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 9.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.7 minutes
- For population 15 years and over in Copenhagen village
- Never married: 24.1%
- Now married: 59.2%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 6.2%
Population change in the 1990s: -14 (-1.6%).
Most common industries for males (%):
- Public administration (20%)
- Construction (11%)
- Paper (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Truck transportation (4%)
Most common industries for females (%):
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (17%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
Most common occupations for males: (%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (9%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
Most common occupations for females (%)
- Cashiers (13%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (4%)
- Child care workers (3%)
In Spanish: Copenhagen (Nueva York) para niños
Copenhagen, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.