Dwayne Johnson facts for kids
Johnson in March 2013
|Born||May 2, 1972
Hayward, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, producer, professional wrestler|
|Years active||1990–1995 (football player)
1996–2004; 2011–2013; 2016 (wrestler)
(m. 1997; div. 2007)
|Relatives||Rocky Johnson (father)
Peter Maivia (grandfather)
Lia Maivia (grandmother)
Nia Jax (cousin)
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Dwayne Johnson
|Billed height||6 ft 5 in|
|Billed from||Miami, Florida|
|Trained by||Pat Patterson
Johnson was born in Hayward, California. His father is of Black Nova Scotian and Irish descent and His mother is Samoan.
Johnson began his career as a football player. He played in the Canadian Football League. This only lasted a couple of months before he was let go. He then chose to become a professional wrestler like his father, Rocky Johnson, and grandfather, Peter Maivia. He began working working the WWF and became very well known. He is one of the most popular wrestlers ever. He has won 16 championships. These include both alone and in a tag team. He has also won the Royal Rumble. He was the sixth person to win the WWE "Triple Crown". This means he won all three of the main championships - the WWE Championship, the Intercontinental Championship, and the World Tag Team Championship. Johnson also has many nicknames to his Rock resume: “The Great One”, “The Most Electrifying Man in All of Entertainment/Sports Entertainment”, “The Brahma Bull”, “Rocky”, and “The People’s Champ/Champion”.
Johnson returned to the WWE on February 14, 2011, when it was said that he was going to be the guest host of Wrestlemania XXVII. At Wrestlemania, He came out after the John Cena and The Miz WWE Championship match ended in a draw. He said it was "time the people got what they want" and restarted the match as a no disqualification match. When the bell rang to start the rematch he hit the "Rock Bottom" on John Cena to let The Miz pin John Cena to keep his championship. After the match The Rock came back in the ring and hit the "People's Elbow" on The Miz to end the show. On the following Raw, John Cena called out The Rock and challenged him to a match. The Rock accepted his challenge and said that if they are going to fight, they were going to do it at WrestleMania XXVII. The Corre came out after The Rock accepted and attacked both The Rock and Cena, Cena and The Rock fought back and beat The Corre. The Rock defeated Cena at WrestleMania XXVIII. The Rock defeated CM Punk at the 2013 Royal Rumble to win the WWE Championship for an eighth time. He Returned In October to have a face off with Rusev On Raw Only to leave the WWE Universe Again. Many People are still waiting for The Peoples Champ to return.
Championships and awards
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- PWI Match of the Year (1999) (vs. Mankind in an "I Quit" match at Royal Rumble)
- PWI Match of the Year (2002) (vs. Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8)
- PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1999, 2000)
- PWI Wrestler of the Year (2000)
- He was ranked #2 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2000.
- He was ranked #14 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2001.
- He was ranked #9 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2002.
- United States Wrestling Association
- USWA World Tag Team Championship (two times) (with Bart Sawyer)
- World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment/WWE
- WCW/World Championship (two times)1
- WWF/E Championship (eight times)2
- WWF Intercontinental Championship (two times)
- World Tag Team Championship (five times) (with Mankind (three), The Undertaker (one), and Chris Jericho (one))
- Royal Rumble (2000)
- Slammy Award for New Sensation (1997)
- Slammy Award for Game Changer of the Year (2011) (with John Cena)
- Slammy Award for Guess Who's Back or: Return of the Year (2011)
- Slammy Award for LOL! Moment of the Year (2012) (Insulting John Cena using the history of Boston, Massachusetts)
- Slammy Award for LOL! Moment of the Year (2013) (The Rock Concert on the 20th Anniversary of Raw)
- Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2013) (vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 29)
- Sixth Triple Crown Champion
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter
- Best Box Office Draw (2000, 2011, 2012)
- Best Gimmick (1999)
- Best on Interviews (1999–2000)
- Most Charismatic (1999–2002, 2011, 2012)
- Most Improved (1998)
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2007)
1The Rock won the championship during The Invasion 2His seventh reign was as Undisputed WWE Champion
Johnson as began acting in 1999. In 2004, he stopped wresting so that he could focus on acting. During this time, he was in many movies. He was also a guest star in some television series. He usually played himself in these episodes. He played the Scorpion King in The Mummy Returns and The Scorpion King. He was also in the movies Race to Witch Mountain, The Other Guys, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island and G.I. Joe - Retaliation. He is set to play Shazam! villain Black Adam in the DC Extended Universe movies.
Johnson is the son of professional wrestler Rocky Johnson. His mother is Samoan. His father is a Black Nova Scotian. Because his father is Canadian, Johnson was given Canadian citizenship in 2009 through changes to the law.
Images for kids
As part of the Nation of Domination, The Rock won the Intercontinental Championship for a second time and held it for 265 days
The Rock during WrestleMania X8 before facing "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan (background)
The Rock (right) and John Cena on Raw, agreeing to a match at WrestleMania XXVIII one year in advance
The Wyatt Family confronts The Rock at WrestleMania 32
Dwayne Johnson Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.