Fisherman's Friend facts for kids
Fisherman's Friend was originally developed by pharmacist James Lofthouse in 1865 to relieve various respiratory problems suffered by fishermen working in the extreme conditions of the Northern deep-sea fishing grounds. Though he developed it as an extremely strong liquid remedy containing menthol and eucalyptus oil, Lofthouse later made the liquid into small lozenges which were easier to transport and administer. According to the manufacturer, the fishermen began to refer to the lozenges as "friends", hence the name. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher is said to have used the product when her throat became strained from public speaking. French President Emmanuel Macron uses them too: 'He finds his energy in les Fisherman's, those lozenges which rip your throat out. He keeps them in his pockets and in the car-seats. When speaking publicly, he needs water, some slices of lemon and a small dish of Fisherman's. During the Presidential campaign, he literally devoured crates of them, delivered to his campaign headquarters.'.
The lozenges are relatively unchanged since their creation. The original paper packets later became foil-lined and packaged in a cardboard carton.
Lofthouse of Fleetwood Ltd. have won the Queen's Award to Industry for Export Achievement on three occasions.
The sugar-free versions of the lozenges contain sorbitol, aspartame, menthol, vegetable-sourced sucralose, and acesulfame K. Often they have anti-caking agents added such as magnesium stearate. Each different flavour has unique ingredients. For example, the blackcurrant flavour variant includes elderberry juice extract.
Fisherman's Friends are available in a variety of flavours. Some flavours are sugar-free, for which the bags are striped.
- Original Extra Strong (called Eucalyptus in Germany) – White pack
- Aniseed – Gold pack
- Mint – Green pack
- Original Extra Strong (called Eucalyptus in Germany) – White and blue pack
- Lemon – White and yellow pack
- Blackcurrant – White and dark purple pack
- Mint – White and light green pack
- Apple – White, green and orange pack (only in Indonesia)
- Apple and Cinnamon – White and mid-green, or white and moss green, or white, green and orange pack
- Salmiak – White and black pack
- Cherry – White and dark red pack
- Mandarin and Ginger, or Spicy Mandarin, or Mandarin and Grapefruit, or Mandarin – White and dark orange pack
- Grapefruit – White and coral pack
- Sweet Liquorice – White and brown pack
- Tropical – White and amber pack
- Spearmint – White and teal pack
- Citrus – White and lime green pack
- Honey and Lemon – White and beige pack
- Sweet Lime – White and yellow to light green pack
- Raspberry – White and dark pink pack
- Mixed Berries – White, red and purple pack
- Sage – White and light purple pack (only in Germany)
- Salmiak and Raspberry– White, dark pink and black pack (only in Finland, Sweden and Norway)
- Chocolate Mint
- Chocolate Mint Cherry
- Chocolate Mint Orange
Other types of candy
- Pro Fresh from Fisherman's Friend
- Vanilla Mint
- Lemon And Lime
Fisherman's Friend Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.