GCompris facts for kids
|Original author(s)||Bruno Coudoin|
|Developer(s)||KDE, Johnny Jazeix (maintainer)|
1.0 / 19 November 2020
|Operating system||Android, BSD, Linux, macOS, Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||more than 50 languages|
|Type||Educational entertainment, Educational software|
|License||GNU General Public License|
GCompris is a software suite comprising educational entertainment software for children aged 2 to 10. GCompris was originally written in C and Python using the GTK+ widget toolkit, but a rewrite in C++ and QML using the Qt widget toolkit is since early 2014 in process. GCompris is free and open-source software subject to the requirements of the GNU General Public License version 3 and has been part of the GNU project.
It is available for Linux, BSD, macOS, Windows and Android. While binaries compiled for Microsoft Windows and macOS were initially distributed with a restricted number of activities and a small fee was required to unlock all the activities, since February 2020 the full version is entirely free for all platforms.
At the time of writing GCompris comprised more than 130 games, called "activities". These are bundled into the following groups:
- Computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, different mouse gestures
- Numeracy: table memory, enumeration, double entry table, mirror images
- Science: the canal lock, the water cycle, the submarine, electric simulations
- Geography: place the country on the map
- Games: chess, memory, connect 4, oware, sudoku
- Reading: reading practice
- Other: learn to tell time, puzzle of famous paintings, vector drawing, cartoon making
Images for kids
GCompris Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.