kids encyclopedia robot

Khost Province facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
Sowy Nabi - panoramio.jpg
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Country  Afghanistan
Capital Khost
 • Total 4,151.5 km2 (1,602.9 sq mi)
 • Total 574,582
 • Density 138.4035/km2 (358.463/sq mi)
Time zone UTC+4:30
Area code(s) AF-KHO
Main languages Pashto

Khost is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan, located in the eastern part of the country. To the east, Khost Province is bordered by Waziristan and Kurram in Pakistan. Khost Province used to be part of Paktia Province in the past, and the larger region surrounding Khost is still called Loya Paktia ("Greater Paktia").

The city of Khost serves as the capital of Khost province. The population of Khost province was estimated to be around 546,800. Other sources put the number at over a million. The Pashtun people make up 99% of the population, with the remaining 1% being Tajiks and others. Khost Airport serves the province for domestic flights to Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.

Durand Line Border Between Afghanistan And Pakistan
The Durand Line is an international 2,200-kilometre (1,400 mi) border between Pakistan and Afghanistan

In 1924, Khost Province, Then known as Southern Province, was the scene of a rebellion by the Mangal Pashtun Tribe, known as the Khost rebellion. The rebellion was ultimately unsuccessful, and was defeated in 1925 by the Afghan Government.

All law enforcement activities throughout the province are controlled by the Afghan National Police (ANP). The border of Afghanistan's Khost province with neighboring Pakistan's FATA is monitored and protected by the Afghan Border Police (ABP), which is part of the ANP. The border is called the Durand Line and is known to be one of the most dangerous in the world due to heavy militant activities and illegal smuggling.


Khost province 2008
Khost provinces 2008
Khost (Matun) District is in the central and eastern part of Khost Province
Districts of Khost Province
District Capital Population Area Notes
Bak 27,675
Gurbuz 30,751
Zazi Maidan 23,197
Khost Matun 160,214
Mandozayi 61,682
Musakhel 41,998
Nadir Shah Kot 37,193
Qalandar 11,406
Sabari 89,779
Shamal 13,523 Shifted from Paktia Province in 2005
Spera 26,685
Tani 67,096

Images for kids

Women's History Month on Kiddle
Women Scientists of Antiquity
Mary the Jewess
kids search engine
Khost Province Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.