kids encyclopedia robot

Kirkman, Iowa facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Kirkman, Iowa
City
Location of Kirkman, Iowa
Location of Kirkman, Iowa
Country Flag of the United States.svg United States
State Flag of Iowa.svg Iowa
County Shelby
Area
 • Total 0.28 sq mi (0.73 km2)
 • Land 0.28 sq mi (0.73 km2)
 • Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 1,253 ft (382 m)
Population (2010)
 • Total 64
 • Estimate (2012) 63
 • Density 228.6/sq mi (88.3/km2)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 51447
Area code(s) 712
FIPS code 19-41520
GNIS feature ID 0458107

Kirkman is a city in Shelby County, Iowa, United States, along the West Nishnabotna River. The population was 64 at the 2010 census.

History

Kirkman had its start by the building of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad through that territory.

Kirkman was established by the Western Town Lot Company in 1880, and incorporated in 1892. The town was named after M.M. Kirkman, a railroad official, and the first house in the town was Kirkman House.

Geography

Kirkman is located at 41°43′44″N 95°16′0″W / 41.72889°N 95.266667°W / 41.72889; -95.266667 (41.728980, -95.266558).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.28 square miles (0.73 km2), all of it land.

Demographics

Historical populations
Year Pop. ±%
1900 203 —    
1910 180 −11.3%
1920 204 +13.3%
1930 183 −10.3%
1940 185 +1.1%
1950 131 −29.2%
1960 92 −29.8%
1970 72 −21.7%
1980 95 +31.9%
1990 98 +3.2%
2000 76 −22.4%
2010 64 −15.8%
2014 63 −1.6%
2015 62 −1.6%
Source: and Iowa Data Center
Source:
U.S. Decennial Census

2010 census

As of the census of 2010, there were 64 people, 33 households, and 23 families residing in the city. The population density was 228.6 inhabitants per square mile (88.3/km2). There were 37 housing units at an average density of 132.1 per square mile (51.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.9% White, 1.6% Pacific Islander, and 1.6% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.1% of the population.

There were 33 households of which 15.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.6% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.3% were non-families. 30.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.94 and the average family size was 2.30.

The median age in the city was 56.5 years. 10.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 11% were from 25 to 44; 56.3% were from 45 to 64; and 15.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 56.3% male and 43.8% female.

2000 census

As of the census of 2000, there were 76 people, 35 households, and 17 families residing in the city. The population density was 266.3 people per square mile (101.2/km²). There were 36 housing units at an average density of 126.2 per square mile (47.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.37% White, 1.32% Asian, 1.32% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.63% of the population.

There were 35 households out of which 20.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 2.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 48.6% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.83.

In the city, the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 22.4% from 25 to 44, 32.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 130.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.5 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $49,375, and the median income for a family was $55,000. Males had a median income of $31,875 versus $18,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,941. There were 15.0% of families and 11.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including 10.5% of under eighteens and 46.2% of those over 64.

kids search engine
Kirkman, Iowa Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.