Pinson, Alabama facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Pinson in Jefferson County, Alabama.
|• Total||11.59 sq mi (30.02 km2)|
|• Land||11.56 sq mi (29.95 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.07 km2)|
|Elevation||620 ft (190 m)|
|• Density||623.97/sq mi (240.91/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
35126, 35123, 35215
|Area code(s)||205 & 659|
|GNIS feature ID||152950|
This city is located at(33.686301, -86.681913).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the community has a total area of 7.0 square miles (18 km2), of which 7.0 square miles (18 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.43%) is water.
Pinson is located in an area of SW - NE parallel ridges, with occasional rock outcrops, especially toward the east-facing ridge crests. Pinson is home to the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve and the Alabama Butterbean Festival.
The Palmerdale Homesteads are located within the city limits of Pinson. The Palmerdale Homesteads were the first of five farmers' resettlement communities built in Alabama under President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal in the 1930s. The first of the 102 homesteads were completed in 1935. A community store and elementary school/community center were completed in 1937 to serve the farming community.
|U.S. Decennial Census
Note: Census demographic data were enumerated for the Census-Designated Place (CDP) for somewhat different boundaries prior to incorporation in 2004. The 1990 population of 10,987 was for the CDP of Pinson-Clay-Chalkville, which was subdivided in 2000 into their own separate CDPs. Therefore, exact population for the Pinson portion in 1990 cannot be ascertained
At the 2010 census, there were 7,163 people, 2,731 households, and 2,074 families living in the community. The population density was 1023.3 people per square mile (393.6/km2). There were 2,948 housing units at an average density of 421.1 per square mile (162.0/km2). The racial makeup of the community was 79.0% White, 17.0% Black or African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 2.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. 3.7% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Of the 2,731 households 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.0% were married couples living together, 13.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.1% were non-families. 20.9% of households were one person and 6.5% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.04.
The age distribution was 24.4% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 27.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% 65 or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.9 males.
The median household income was $56,863 and the median family income was $63,221. Males had a median income of $41,719 versus $36,066 for females. The per capita income for the community was $23,902. About 4.5% of families and 5.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 or over.
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||2,373||32.89%|
|Hispanic or Latino||566||7.84%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 7,215 people, 2,711 households, and 1,997 families residing in the city.
- Pinson Valley High School - Located on Highway 75 in Pinson. Grades 9-12.
- Rudd Middle School- Grades 6–8.
- Kermit Johnson Elementary- Grades 3–5.
- Pinson Elementary School- Grades K-2.
- Ed Chandler - former Major League Baseball player
- William Engesser (February 21, 1939 – June 20, 2002)¹ was an American film actor, 7'3" tall. His roles include Jerry Reed's bodyguard in Gator, Richard/"Bigfoot" in The Secrets of Isis, Krakow the Werewolf in the campy House on Bare Mountain, and a bit part as a man in a gym in The Nutty Professor
- Samantha Francis - contestant on Americas Next Top Model cycle 8, Professional international Model
- Terry Hoeppner - assistant coach at Pinson (1974–75), Later head coach for the Indiana University football team
- Desmond Jennings - Major League Baseball player
- Terry Jones - former outfielder for the Montreal Expos and Colorado Rockies
- Bo Nix - current quarterback for the Oregon Ducks
- Melinda Toole - former Miss Alabama
Pinson, Alabama Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.