kids encyclopedia robot

Quintana, Texas facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
Quintana, Texas
Location of Quintana, Texas
Location of Quintana, Texas
Brazoria County Quintana.svg
Country United States
State Texas
County Brazoria
Area
 • Total 2.39 sq mi (6.19 km2)
 • Land 0.69 sq mi (1.79 km2)
 • Water 1.70 sq mi (4.39 km2)
Elevation
7 ft (2 m)
Population
 (2010)
 • Total 56
 • Estimate 
(2019)
94
 • Density 135.64/sq mi (52.40/km2)
Time zone UTC-6 (Central (CST))
 • Summer (DST) UTC-5 (CDT)
ZIP code
77541
Area code(s) 979
FIPS code 48-60164
GNIS feature ID 1380409
Website http://www.quintanatx.org

Quintana is a town in Brazoria County, Texas, United States. Its population was 56 at the 2010 census.

Geography

Quintana is located in southern Brazoria County at 28°55′29″N 95°19′06″W / 28.924819°N 95.318331°W / 28.924819; -95.318331, on Quintana Beach along the Gulf of Mexico. It is bordered by the city of Surfside Beach to the northeast, across the entrance to Freeport Harbor, and by the city of Freeport to the southwest in the area of Bryan Beach. The Intracoastal Waterway on the northwest separates Quintana from the main portion of Freeport.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town of Quintana has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), of which 0.66 square miles (1.7 km2) is land and 1.4 square miles (3.5 km2), or 67.87%, is water.

Climate

The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Quintana has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.

Demographics

Historical population
Census Pop.
1880 47
1890 475 910.6%
1900 301 −36.6%
1970 58
1980 30 −48.3%
1990 51 70.0%
2000 38 −25.5%
2010 56 47.4%
2019 (est.) 94 67.9%
U.S. Decennial Census

As of the census of 2000, 38 people, 20 households, and 11 families were residing in the town. The population density was 62.6 people per square mile (24.1/km2). The 41 housing units averaged 67.6 per mi2 (26.0/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 84.21% White, and 15.79% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 15.79% of the population.

Of 20 households, 10.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.0% were married couples living together, 5.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.0% were not families. About 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.90 and the average family size was 2.18.

In the town, the age distribution was 10.5% under 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 42.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females, there were 171.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 142.9 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $25,500, and for a family was $11,875. Males had a median income of $27,500 versus $14,688 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,900. About 25.0% of families and 18.2% of the population were living below the poverty line, with none under 18 or over 64.

2003 Dolphin Stranding

On February 14th, 2003, an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin was found stranded on a beach near the town. They named him Cupid because it was Valentine's Day. He was rescued by the Texas MMSN who took him to a facility for treatment. At that time he was estimated to be 18 months old and was found to have epilepsy. Many people worked hard to make sure he would survive and he did. Due to his epileptic seizures and young age, Cupid was deemed unreleasable. In 2004, people chose Six Flags Discovery Kingdom to be his new home. He was flown there and is now thriving happily.


Education

The city is served by Brazosport Independent School District.

  • Freeport Elementary School (grades Pre-K–1)
  • Velasco Elementary School (grades 2–4)
  • Lanier Middle School (grades 5–6)
  • Freeport Intermediate School (grades 7–8)
  • Brazosport High School (grades 9–12)

It was previously zoned to O.A. Fleming Elementary School (Pre-K–1), and Jane Long Elementary School (grades 2–4). Jane Long was scheduled to close in 2017, with Fleming taking grades K–1 and Velasco Elementary taking over grades 2–4. Fleming was scheduled to close when the new Freeport Elementary School opened in 2018.

The town is also served by Brazosport College. The Texas Legislature designated the Brazosport ISD as in the Brazosport College zone.

The town is served by the Brazoria County Library System.

kids search engine
Quintana, Texas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.