Suffield Township, Portage County, Ohio facts for kids
Wingfoot Lake and the Goodyear Airship Hanger
Location within Portage County
|• Total||24.7 sq mi (64.0 km2)|
|• Land||22.9 sq mi (59.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.8 sq mi (4.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,181 ft (360 m)|
|• Density||278.5/sq mi (107.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1086841|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Brimfield Township - north
- Rootstown Township - northeast corner
- Randolph Township - east
- Lake Township, Stark County - south
- Springfield Township, Summit County - west
- Tallmadge - northwest corner
Part of the village of Mogadore is located in northwestern Suffield Township.
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Suffield Township covers an area of 24 sq mi (62 km2).
- Flatiron Lake Bog preserve (a 97-acre (390,000 m2) kettle hole bog formed about 12,000 years ago; maintained by The Nature Conservancy)
Name and history
Suffield Township was named after Suffield, Connecticut, the hometown of many its first settlers. It is the only Suffield Township statewide. A post office called Suffield was established in 1836, and remained in operation until 1966. In the southwestern part of the township was a settlement called Mishler, which had a post office from 1882 until 1917.
Suffield Township, Portage County, Ohio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.