The Church of Our Lady St Mary of Glastonbury facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsThe Church of Our Lady St Mary of Glastonbury
The front of the church along Magdalene Street
|Town or city||Glastonbury, Somerset|
The church sits along Magdalene Street facing the medieval Abbot's Kitchen across the road in Glastonbury Abbey. On the same site, once stood the original Catholic church in that of an old converted stable which was pulled down in 1938. Behind the church there was once the St. Louis Convent school which operated from 1925 until 1984. The new church was made at a cost of £11,000 and was built using Bath and Corsham stone. At the front of the church, carved into the stone are statues of Madonna and child, St Dunstan to the left and Richard Whiting, the last Abbot of Glastonbury on the right. Father Michael Fitzpatrick worked on raising these funds and relied upon local donations to do so.
After its consecration on July 2, 1941 by Bishop Lee of Clifton - the church was blessed and relics from saints placed within the altar and reliquaries from:
- Oliver Plunkett - Patron saint of Peace and Reconciliation in Ireland
- Thomas Becket - Patron saint of the Roman Catholic Secular Clergy
- Pope Innocent I - Once pope for 16 years
- Benedict of Nursia - Patron saint of students and the dying et al.
- Victoria of Albitina - Patron of Anticoli, Italy
- Saint Barbara - Patron saint of artillerymen and miners
- Pope Clement I - Patron saint of stone cutters and sailors
Behind the altar is the statue of 'Our Lady St. Mary of Glastonbury' which was made in 1955. Either side is a large tapestry which was woven by the Edinburgh Tapestry Company Ltd. It depicts the three Glastonbury Martyrs; the Abbot of Glastonbury Abbey Richard Whiting, his treasurer John Thorne and their companion Roger James before they were hanged, drawn and quartered at Glastonbury Tor during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Also depicted is St. Dunstan, St. Patrick, St Brigid St. Joseph of Arimathea, St. David, and the monk Richard Bere who was executed for refusing to 'take the Oath of Henry's supremacy over the Church'.
List of Priests
- Fr Francis Burdett, 1926 - 1928
- Fr Patrick O'Beirne, 1929 - 1938
- Fr Michael Fitzpatrick, 1938 - 1944
- Fr William Ryan, 1944 - 1948
- Fr Joseph Sheehan, 1948 - 1952
- Fr James O'Brien, 1952 - 1962
- Fr Sean McNamara, 1962 - 1967
- Fr John O'Connor, 1968 - 1982
- Fr Nicholas Tranter, 1982 - 1984
- Fr Paul Sankey, 1984 - 1998
- Fr Kevin Knox-Lecky, 1999 - 2012
- Fr James Finan, 2012 - 2017
- Fr Bede Rowe, 2017 – 2019
- The Community of Our Lady of Glastonbury 2019 - present
The Church of Our Lady St Mary of Glastonbury Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.