The Da Vinci Code (movie) facts for kids
|The Da Vinci Code|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ron Howard|
|Screenplay by||Akiva Goldsman|
|Music by||Hans Zimmer|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Release date(s)||May 19, 2006|
|Running time||148 minutes|
|Money made||$758.2 million|
Robert Langdon is a professor of religious iconography and symbology from Harvard University. While in Paris, he is the prime suspect in the unusual murder of a Louvre curator. Langdon realized the curator was part of a secret society. Members of the society included Leonardo Da Vinci, Victor Hugo, Botticelli, and others
- Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon
- Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveu
- Ian McKellen as Sir Leigh Teabing
- Alfred Molina as Bishop Aringarosa
- Jürgen Prochnow as André Vernet
- Jean Reno as Police Captain Bezu Fache
- Paul Bettany as Silas
- Étienne Chicot as Lieutenant Jérôme Collet
- Jean-Yves Berteloot as Remy Jean
- Jean-Pierre Marielle as Jacques Saunière
- Charlotte Graham as Mary Magdalene
- Hugh Mitchell as young Silas
- Seth Gabel as Michael the Cleric
- Marie-Françoise Audollent as Sister Sandrine
- Rita Davies as Elegant Woman at Rosslyn
- Francesco Carnelutti as Prefect
- Author Dan Brown and his wife make cameos (forefront) in the first scene of the book signing scene.
- The Templar Revelation authors Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince, make a brief appearance as passengers on a bus.
The Da Vinci Code (like the book) was controversial. It received very harsh criticism from the Roman Catholic Church. They didn't like the idea that they were behind a 2,000-year-old cover-up about what the Holy Grail really was. The movie also said that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and had a daughter.
The movie got mixed to negative reviews from the critics. Rotten Tomatoes rated the movie 25%, meaning "Rotten". It also got poor reviews at the Cannes Film Festival Movie critic Leonard Maltin called the movie "a letdown in every respect."
The box office
Despite mixed to negative reviews, the movie took in more than $758 million in the box office.
The Da Vinci Code (movie) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.