Typha facts for kids
Typha is a genus of plants. They are found in wetland habitats. They are commonly found in the Northern Hemisphere, but may be found in wetlands elsewhere. These plants are known in British English as bulrush, bullrush or reedmace, and in American English as cattail or punks.
- Typha angustifolia - Lesser Bulrush or Narrow Leaf Cattail
- Typha angustifolia x T. latifolia - Hybrid or White Cattail
- Typha domingensis - Southern Cattail
- Typha latifolia - Common Cattail
- Typha laxmannii - Laxman's Bulrush
- Typha minima - Dwarf Bulrush
- Typha orientalis and Typha muelleri - Raupo
- Typha shuttleworthii - Shuttleworth's Bulrush
Uses by humans
Cattails were once used to make paper. Cattail paper is very heavy and coarse, and is rarely used today. Cattail has also been used as a water filter to remove the poisonous chemical arsenic from drinking water.
Images for kids
Typha at the edge of a small wetland in Indiana
Typha Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.