Quick facts for kidsVernon
|Town Supervisor||Myron J. Thurston (R)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT|
The Town of Vernon is on the western border of the county. The town contains a village, also named Vernon.
In 1920, the population of the Town of Vernon was 4,522.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 38.1 square miles (98.7 km²), all of it land.
The west town line is the border of Madison County and is formed by the Oneida Creek.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,335 people, 2,112 households, and 1,484 families residing in the town. The population density was 139.9 people per square mile (54.0/km²). There were 2,266 housing units at an average density of 59.4 per square mile (23.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.94% White, 0.43% Black or African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.39% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
There were 2,112 households out of which 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.6% were married couples living together, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.7% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $38,339, and the median income for a family was $44,951. Males had a median income of $32,848 versus $24,076 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,523. About 7.6% of families and 9.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.6% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in the Town of Vernon
- Brewers Corners – A hamlet on the northern town line and north of Vernon village.
- Oneida Castle – The Village of Oneida Castle, northeast of Sherrill.
- Sconondoa – A location on the north town line, near Oneida Castle, on NY 365.
- Sherrill – The City of Sherrill, the smallest city in the state, is in the western part of the town. Unlike other cities in New York, for some purposes it falls under Vernon's jurisdiction.
- Vernon – The Village of Vernon, centrally located in the town, east of Sherrill on NY5.
- Vernon Center – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town, located on NY 26 and is the eastern terminus of NY 31.
Vernon, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.