The 2nd Annual Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards was held on April 18, 1988, from the Conan Sword and Sorcery Spectacular Arena at Universal Studios Hollywood. This was the first event held under this title, and first to feature a live audience, as well as celebrity hosts and attendees, while the first KCA occurred the previous year in 1987 as The Big Ballot, and only featured taped segments linked together by its studio hosts.
Presenters, performers, and format
- The Fat Boys ("Wipe Out")
- Debbie Gibson ("Shake Your Love" and "Out of the Blue")
While the previous year's inaugural Nickelodeon award show only featured in-studio segments and pre-taped celebrity pieces, the 1988 Kids' Choice Awards was a full blown event, featuring a live audience, celebrity presenters, and the first "KCA trophy", which was created by original logo designers Tom Corey and Scott Nash.
Winners and nominees
- Winners are listed first and in boldface.
Events within the show
- Mackenzie Astin taking the Blindfold Ice Cream Challenge...on his face.
- Wil Wheaton taking the Head-To-Head Giant Beach Ball Challenge.
- Les Lye: The only celebrity to be slimed during the show, Les Lye was slimed during the initial 90 seconds of the show.