Antz facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsAntz
Theatrical release poster
|Editing by||Stan Webb|
|Distributed by||DreamWorks Pictures|
|Release date(s)||September 19, 1998(TIFF)
October 2, 1998 (United States)
|Running time||83 minutes|
|Money made||$171.8 million|
Antz is a 1998 American computer-animated adventure comedy film directed by Eric Darnell and Tim Johnson (in their feature directorial debuts) from a screenplay by Todd Alcott, Chris Weitz, and Paul Weitz. The film features the voices of Woody Allen, Sharon Stone, Jennifer Lopez, Sylvester Stallone, Christopher Walken, Dan Aykroyd, Anne Bancroft, Danny Glover and Gene Hackman. Some of the main characters share facial similarities with the actors who voice them. Antz was the first film from DreamWorks Animation, and the second feature-length computer-animated film after Disney and Pixar's Toy Story (1995).
During its production, a public feud erupted between DreamWorks co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg and Steve Jobs and John Lasseter of Pixar, due to the production of their similar film A Bug's Life, which was released a month later. This only worsened when Disney refused to avoid competition with DreamWorks' intended first animated release, The Prince of Egypt (1998).
Antz premiered on September 19, 1998, at the Toronto International Film Festival, and was released theatrically in the United States on October 2, 1998, by DreamWorks Pictures. It grossed $171.8 million worldwide on a budget of $42–105 million. The film received positive reviews, with critics praising the voice cast, animation, humor, and its appeal towards adults.
- Woody Allen as Z Marion-4195 "Z", an idealistic but anxious worker ant.
- Gene Hackman as General Mandible, the mean-spirited and arrogant general officer of the ant military. He is also the fiancée of Princess Bala.
- Sharon Stone as Princess Bala, the Queen Ant's daughter, Mandible's fiancée, and Z's love interest.
- Sylvester Stallone as Corporal Weaver, a brave soldier ant and Z's best friend who becomes Azteca's boyfriend.
- Jennifer Lopez as Azteca, another friend of Z's and a worker ant who becomes Weaver's girlfriend.
- Christopher Walken as Colonel Cutter, a flying ant that serves as Mandible's patient and empathetic adviser who becomes disillusioned by the general's actions.
- Danny Glover as Staff Sergeant Barbatus, a soldier ant who befriends Z during the fight against the termites.
- Anne Bancroft as Queen Ant, Princess Bala's mother and the ruler of the ants.
- Dan Aykroyd as Chip the Wasp, a wasp whom Z befriends.
- Grant Shaud as The Foreman, the head of the worker ants.
- John Mahoney as Grebs, an ant scout who talked about Insectopia.
- Jane Curtin as Muffin "Muffy" the Wasp, Chip's wife.
- Paul Mazursky as Z's Psychiatrist
- Jerry Sroka as the Bartender, the unnamed bartender of the bar that Z and Weaver frequent.
In Spanish: Antz para niños
Antz Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.