- Approximation theory: Sometimes it is not possible to get an exact solution to a problem, because this might take too long, or it may not be possible at all. Approximation theory looks at ways to get a solution which is close to the exact one, and which can be obtained faster.
- Numerical analysis and simulation: This field investigates various algorithms to get approximations for mathematical problems. The study of numerical linear algebra and validated numerics are also included in this field.
- Probability and Statistics: How likely is it that something will happen? - If a coin is flipped 100 times, and lands heads up 53 times, is this coin good for games of chance, or should another one be taken?
- Optimization is about finding better solutions to problems.
- In ecology certain things are known about populations of animals or plants. This is usually called Population model. Biologists use them to tell how a population changes over time.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- International Association for Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (IMACS)
- International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Japan Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (JSIAM, Japanese counterpart of SIAM)
- Japan Society for Simulation Technology (JSST, Japanese counterpart of IMACS)
- The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) is a professional society for promoting the interaction between mathematics and other scientific and technical communities. With organizing and sponsoring many conferences, SIAM is a major publisher of research journals and textbooks in applied mathematics.
Images for kids
A numerical solution to the heat equation on a pump casing model using the finite element method.
Applied mathematics Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.