Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics facts for kids
|Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Location||University City, Philadelphia|
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) is an US-based professional organization of applied mathematicians who are working in the field of education and research of applied mathematics. They do so with publishing textbooks and journals, holding academic conferences, and giving awards to experts of applied mathematics.
Difference Between AMS and SIAM
AMS (American Mathematical Society) is also an organization for American mathematicians, but SIAM and AMS has the following differences:
- The interest of AMS is the field of pure and applied mathematics, but SIAM focuses on applied mathematics, especially statistics, optimization, and numerical analysis.
- AMS takes action in the United States, but SIAM has several branches inside and outside the United States. For example, SIAM has MEXSIAM (Mexico Section of SIAM), ARSIAM (Argentina Section of SIAM), COSIAM (Columbia Section of SIAM), SIAM UKIE (United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland Section of SIAM), and EASIAM (East Asia Section of SIAM).
Journals from SIAM
These are the journals currently published from SIAM.
- SIAM Review
- SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics
- SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis
- SIAM Journal on Financial Mathematics
- Theory of Probability and Its Applications
- SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems
- SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications (Journal about matrix analysis)
Journals about numerical analysis
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- SIAM Journal on Computing
- SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing
- SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis
Journals about optimization
- SIAM Journal on Optimization
- SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization
Textbooks from SIAM
SIAM has published many textbooks for various fields in applied mathematics. For example, they have literature for approximation theory, numerical analysis, numerical linear algebra, and optimization. SIAM is also publishing the following series.
- ASA-SIAM Series on Statistics and Applied Probability
- CBMS-NSF Regional Conf. Series In Applied Math
- Classics in Applied Mathematics
- Financial Mathematics
- MOS-SIAM Series on Optimization
- SIAM Spotlights
- Software, Environments, and Tools
- Studies in Applied and Numerical Mathematics
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.