Bovid facts for kids
They are all ruminants, with the double stomach system of digesting vegetation, which is most efficient. The family originated in the Miocene, and is now very successful. Their success, and that of the three domestic animals (cow, sheep and goat) is probably helped by their digestive system.
- Family Bovidae
- Subfamily Aepycerotinae (one genus: the impala)
- Subfamily Alcelaphinae (one tribe and four genera: wildebeest and relatives)
- Subfamily Antilopinae (three tribes and 15 genera: gazelles and relatives)
- Subfamily Bovinae (three tribes and ten genera: cattle, bisons etc.)
- Subfamily Caprinae (three tribes and 13 genera: goats and sheep)
- Subfamily Cephalophinae (three genera: duikers)
- Subfamily Hippotraginae (three genera: antelopes)
- Subfamily Panthelopinae (the Tibetan antelope)
- Subfamily Peleinae (the grey rhebok)
- Subfamily Reduncinae (two genera: more antelopes)
|Wikispecies has information on: Bovidae.|
Images for kids
Bovid Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.