kids encyclopedia robot

Brompton, South Australia facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
Brompton
AdelaideSouth Australia
Brompton, Adelaide - painted Stobie pole 2.jpg
Stobie pole in Brompton
Population 3,537 (2016 census)
Established 1849
Postcode(s) 5007
Location 3.8 km (2 mi) NW of Adelaide city centre
LGA(s) City of Charles Sturt
State electorate(s) Croydon (2011)
Federal Division(s) Adelaide (2011)
Suburbs around Brompton:
Ridleyton Renown Park Renown Park
Ridleyton Brompton Bowden
Hindmarsh Hindmarsh Bowden
Chief Street
Chief Street, Brompton
Housing development in Brompton
Housing development in Brompton

Brompton is an inner-northern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Charles Sturt.

History

Brompton was established in June 1849 and quickly grew. By October of that year, two thirds of the formerly "bare common ground [was] covered with substantial and genteel cottages, thriving shops and wells of excellent water."

Ovingham Post Office opened on 1 November 1879, was renamed Bowden in 1970 and Brompton in 1991.

Geography

The suburb lies between Torrens Road and the Grange/Outer Harbor railway line.

Demographics

The 2016 Census by the Australian Bureau of Statistics counted 3,537 persons in Brompton on census night. Of these, 48.4% were male and 51.6% were female.

The majority of residents (60.4%) are of Australian birth, with other common census responses being China (5.7%), Greece (4.8%), England (3.3%), Vietnam (1.9%), and India (1.4). Additionally, people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent made up 1.2% of the suburb

In terms of religious affiliation, 41.4% of residents attributed themselves to being irreligious, 15.8% attributed themselves to being Catholic, 8.5% attributed themselves to be Eastern Orthodox, and 6.1% attributed themselves to being Anglican. Within Brompton, 91.4% of the residents were employed, with the remaining 8.6% being unemployed.

Community

The local newspaper is the Weekly Times Messenger. Other regional and national newspapers such as The Advertiser and The Australian are also available.

Community groups

The Bowden Brompton Community Centre is based at 19 Green Street, Brompton.

Schools

Bowden Brompton Community School is located on Torrens Road and Immaculate Heart of Mary School is located on East Street.

Facilities and attractions

Shopping and dining

The Hawker Street shopping and dining precinct, and the Brompton Hotel and the Excelsior Hotel are in the suburb.

Parks

Hindmarsh Incinerator
Hindmarsh Incinerator, designed by Walter Burley Griffin in 1935, viewed from the northwest

There are several parks in Brompton, the largest of which is Josiah Mitton Reserve, between Wood Avenue and Burley Griffin Boulevard. The reserve includes the Hindmarsh Incinerator, designed by Walter Burley Griffin in 1935. Completed in 1936, it is one of his two buildings in SA listed as among the 120 nationally significant 20th-century buildings in South Australia, the other being the Thebarton Incinerator at Thebarton.

Motorsport

From 1949 until 1979, Brompton was the home to the world famous Rowley Park Speedway located on the corner of Torrens Road and Coglin Street. Rowley Park was a 358 metres (392 yards) dirt track speedway built in the old Brompton Brick Pits and operated 23 meetings per season (usually October to April) on Friday nights and was capable of holding over 10,000 spectators. The speedway hosted numerous Australian and South Australian speedway championships through its history. From 1954 until 1973, the speedway was promoted by leading Adelaide identity Kym Bonython who made Rowley Park 'the' place to be in Adelaide on a Friday night during summer. Rowley Park closed on 4 April 1979 and is now the site of the Kym Bonython housing estate.

In 1965, Rowley Park was the site of Australia's first Demolition derby.

Transportation

Roads

Brompton is primarily serviced by Torrens Road, which connects the suburb to Adelaide city centre. Hawker Street cuts through the centre of the suburb.

Many of the local streets were established in the 19th century. Consequently, roadways tend to be narrow and, with a small volume of traffic, quiet.

Public transport

Brompton is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro.

Trains

There is no train stop in Ridleyton but the Grange and Outer Harbor railway lines pass nearby. The closest station is Bowden. On the Gawler railway line the closest station is Ovingham.

Buses

The suburb is serviced by the following bus routes:

  • 250, 251, 252
  • 253, 254, N254
kids search engine
Brompton, South Australia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.