kids encyclopedia robot

Ridleyton, South Australia facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
AdelaideSouth Australia
Ridleyton, Adelaide - Stobie poles.jpg
Street view in Ridleyton
 • Density 2,800/km2 (7,300/sq mi)
Established 1873
Postcode(s) 5008
Area 0.4 km2 (0.2 sq mi)
Location 4.3 km (3 mi) NW of Adelaide city centre
LGA(s) City of Charles Sturt
State electorate(s) Croydon (2011)
Federal Division(s) Adelaide (2019)
Suburbs around Ridleyton:
Croydon Renown Park Renown Park
Croydon Ridleyton Brompton
Croydon Hindmarsh Brompton
Greenshields ridleyton
Greenshields Reserve in Ridleyton

Ridleyton is an inner northern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of Charles Sturt.


The area incorporating the current suburb of Ridleyton was originally granted to Osmond Gilles in March 1839. He later transferred it to John Ridley, inventor of the stripper or reaping machine, in June 1842 for £275. In 1873, Ridley lodged a plan to subdivide his land, naming one part Ridleyton.


Ridleyton is primarily bounded by South Road, Torrens Road, Wood Avenue and Blight Street. The suburb includes the northwestern end of the redeveloped Hawker Street precinct.


The 2016 Census by the Australian Bureau of Statistics counted 1,128 persons in Ridleyton on census night. Of these, 47.7% were male and 52.3% were female.

The majority of residents (64.9%) are of Australian birth, with other common census responses being China (6.0%), Vietnam (3.4%), England (2.6%), India (1.7%), and Greece (1.5). Additionally, people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent made up 1.7% of the suburb

In terms of religious affiliation, 37.9% of residents attributed themselves to being irreligious, 17.7% attributed themselves to being Catholic, 8.2% attributed themselves to be Eastern Orthodox, and 5.4% attributed themselves to being Anglican. Within Ridleyton, 93.8% of the residents were employed, with the remaining 6.2% being unemployed.


The local newspaper is the Weekly Times Messenger. Other regional and national newspapers such as The Advertiser and The Australian are also available.

Facilities and attractions

Shopping and dining

The Ridleyton Central Shopping Centre services Ridleyton and neighboring suburbs. The centre is accessible from both Hawker Street and South Road. As well as such stores as a pharmacy, bakery and news agency, the centre includes an IGA Foodland supermarket.

Other major businesses in the suburb include:

  • BP service station on South Road (including a Subway (restaurant))
  • McDonald's restaurant on the corner of South Road and Torrens Road
  • BWS liquor store on the corner of Hawker Street and South Road.

The Hawker Street (Bowden & Brompton) and Elizabeth Street (Croydon) shopping and dining precincts are within walking distance of Ridleyton.


The largest park in Ridleyton is Albert Greenshields Reserve on Torrens Road. This park includes a Girl Guide hall, barbecue area, public restrooms, creek, playing field and a children's playground. There are laneways both to Wright Street and Blight Street.

There are also small parks on Ryan Place and on the corner of Hythe Street and Wood Avenue.



Ridleyton lies beside the intersection of South Road and Torrens Road, and is thus serviced by both. Hawker Street cuts through the centre of the suburb.

Many of the local streets were established in the 19th century. Consequently, roadways tend to be narrow and, with a small volume of traffic, quiet.

Public transport

Ridleyton is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro.


There is no train stop in Ridleyton itself. However, the following train services run nearby.

  • Grange and Outer Harbour railway lines. The closest station is Croydon.
  • Gawler railway line. The closest station is Ovingham.


The suburb is serviced by the following bus routes:

  • 250, 251, 252
  • 253, 254, N254
kids search engine
Ridleyton, South Australia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.