Hindmarsh, South Australia facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsHindmarsh
Adelaide, South Australia
Manton Street, Hindmarsh
|Population||231 (2016 census)|
|• Density||262.5/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|Area||0.88 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Location||3.5 km (2 mi) NW of Adelaide city centre|
|LGA(s)||City of Charles Sturt|
|State electorate(s)||West Torrens|
|Federal Division(s)||Adelaide (2011)|
Hindmarsh was the first private town laid out in the colony of South Australia. The Village of Hindmarsh was established on land owned by Governor Hindmarsh which, in 1838, he appears to have sold to relatives. It seems the Governor "acquired a dubious reputation by prohibiting squatting in the Parklands, thus forcing people to acquire land in the subdivision".
The 2016 Census by the Australian Bureau of Statistics counted 231 persons in Hindmarsh on census night. Of these, 61.1% were male and 38.9% were female.
The majority of residents (66.8%) are of Australian birth, with other common census responses being England (5.2%), South Korea (4.3%), Malaysia (3.8%), Thailand (3.3%), and Italy (1.9%). Additionally, people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent made up 2.6% of the suburb.
In terms of religious affiliation, 46.8% of residents attributed themselves to being irreligious, 17.9% attributed themselves to being Catholic, 6.8% attributed themselves to be Buddhist, and 6.4% attributed themselves to being Eastern Orthodox. Within Welland, 82.8% of the residents were employed, with the remaining 17.2% being unemployed.
Facilities and attractions
Shopping and dining
There are several cafes and restaurants along Port Road and elsewhere in the suburb.
Port Road is the main arterial road connecting the suburb to the Adelaide city centre, while South Road forms its western boundary.
Hindmarsh is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro:
- The Grange and Outer Harbour railway line passes beside the suburb. The closest station is Bowden.
- Adelaide Metro operates a tram service to the Entertainment Centre, which is free from anywhere in the city centre.
- The suburb is serviced by several bus routes.
Images for kids
Hindmarsh, South Australia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.