Chiang Mai Province facts for kids
|• Province||20,107 km2 (7,763 sq mi)|
|• Density||83.4676/km2 (216.180/sq mi)|
|Human Development Index|
|• HDI (2010)||0.792 (high) (rank?)|
|Accession into Siam (Thailand)||1910|
Chiang Mai (Thai เชียงใหม่) is the second-largest province (changwat) of Thailand. It is in the country's north. It is bordered by Chiang Rai to the northeast, Lampang and Lamphun to the south, Tak to the southwest, Mae Hong Son to the west, and Shan State of Burma to the north. The capital, Chiang Mai, is 685 km north of Bangkok.
Chiang Mai Province is about 685 km (426 mi) from Bangkok. The highest mountain in Thailand, Doi Inthanon at 2,565 metres (8,415 ft), is in Chiang Mai Province.
Several other national parks are also in the province: Doi Suthep-Pui, Ob Luang, Sri Lanna, Huai Nam Dang, Mae Wang, and Pha Daeng.
In 1599, the kingdom lost its independence and became part of the Ayutthaya Kingdom.
In 1932, the province Chiang Mai moved up to the second level subdivision of Thailand when the administrative unit of Monthon Phayap, the remains of the Lanna Kingdom, was dissolved.
Types of People
13.4% of the population in the province are members of hill tribes, among them the Hmong, Yao, Lahu, Lisu, Akha, and Karen.
Chiang Mai has a tropical wet and dry climate (Köppen Aw), tempered by the low latitude and moderate elevation, with warm to hot weather year-round, though nighttime conditions during the dry season can be cool and are much lower than daytime highs. The maximum temperature ever recorded is 42.4 °C in May 2005.
- Car. Chiang Mai is on Highway 11 (Super Highway Rd).
- Train. Chiang Mai is the northern terminus of the northern railway route.
- Samlor. Samlors (rickshaws) can be found in the urban core.
- Tuk-tuks are used for short distances.
- Buses. Chiang Mai is served by buses from Bangkok and many other cities.
- Bicycle and motorbike. Both forms of transport can be hired in Chiang Mai city.
- Air. Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX) is one of the seven Thai international airports
Images for kids
Chiang Mai Province Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.