College Terrace, Palo Alto, California facts for kids
An all-residential neighborhood, College Terrace stretches 12 by two blocks. It lies between South California Avenue and Stanford Avenue, from Amherst Street to El Camino Real. College Avenue runs down the center of the neighborhood. College Terrace is directly adjacent to Escondido Village, a campus residence on the southern edge of Stanford University. The neighborhood features its own branch of the Palo Alto Public Library system.
There are three parks in the College Terrace neighborhood:
- Donaldina M. Cameron Park, located on Wellesley Street between Stanford Avenue and College Avenue.
- William C. Werry Park, located on Dartmouth Street between Stanford Avenue and College Avenue.
- Frederick W. Weisshaar Park, also on Dartmouth Street between College Avenue and South California Avenue.
There are three religious communities in College Terrace:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- The Chabad House
- University Lutheran Church
All of the street names in the College Terrace neighborhood are named after East Coast colleges and universities such as Amherst, Bowdoin, Columbia, Dartmouth, Harvard, Oberlin, Princeton, Cornell, Wellesley, Williams and Yale.
Notable former residents of College Terrace include the architect Birge Clark, theologian Robert McAfee Brown, and folk singer Joan Baez.
College Terrace, Palo Alto, California Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.