Finneytown, Ohio facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Residential area in Finneytown
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10.3 km2)|
|• Land||4.0 sq mi (10.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||889 ft (271 m)|
|• Density||3,185/sq mi (1,237/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1048734|
Finneytown is a census-designated place (CDP) in Springfield Township, Hamilton County, in southwest Ohio, United States, just north of Cincinnati. The population was 12,741 at the 2010 census (down from 13,492 in 2000). Finneytown is home to the largest private school in Ohio (St. Xavier High School) and the Cincinnati area's annual Greek Festival (at Holy Trinity-St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church).
Finneytown is located at(39.217059, -84.521513).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10 km2), all land.
Finneytown is named for Ebenezer Ward Finney, Revolutionary War soldier whose burial site is located just south of the current township. The land was originally purchased from John Cleves Symmes by Rev. Ebenezer Ward, and given to his grandson Ebenezer Ward Finney.
The population was 12,741 at the U.S. 2010 census, in 5,294 housing units. The racial makeup of the CDP was 61.7% White, 33.7% Black, 1.9% Hispanic, with others 1% or less.
Finneytown is the home of the annual Panegyri Greek Festival, one of the largest annual ethnic food celebrations in the Cincinnati area. The Holy Trinity-Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church started the yearly festival in 1975. It has included authentic Greek food, music, dancing, and an art show. The festival has been held during June in recent years.
- Pringles potato crisps were named after Pringle Drive, a street in Finneytown.
- Rod Serling, creator of The Twilight Zone, lived in Finneytown during the 1950s, in a middle-class suburban house, as a radio script-writer for WLW.
- Goat, a movie starring Nick Jonas started being filmed on May 4, 2015 in Finneytown
The Finneytown Local School District is a residential community located in the Northern Hills area of Hamilton County. The district has 3 schools that are divided by grades. They include: Brent Elementary School (K-1), Whitaker Elementary School (2-5) and the Junior/Senior High or Secondary Campus (6-12). A former school, Cottonwood Elementary, closed down in 2009, which used to house grades 3–4.
There are four private schools within Finneytown:
- St Xavier High School (9-12)
As of 2016, St. Xavier is the largest private school in Ohio.
Finneytown is also home to the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science.
- Darius Bazley, professional basketball player
- Amanda Borden, 1996 Olympic gold medallist in gymnastics
- Charley Harper, artist
- Joe Hudepohl, 1992 and 1996 Olympic gold medalist in swimming
- Jeffrey R. Immelt, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of General Electric
- Justin Jeffre, member of the band 98 Degrees
- James Michael Lafferty, CEO of Fine Hygienic Holding; former regional CEO of Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola and British-American Tobacco. Olympic Track and Field coach
- Marco Marsan, author
- Mark Trueblood, engineer and astronomer
- Donavon Clark, Football Player
Finneytown, Ohio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.