Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum facts for kids
|Established||1999 (at current location)|
|Location||4203 Anderson Avenue
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
San Diego, California
|Type||Military aviation museum|
The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum is a United States Marine Corps aviation museum at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, San Diego, California. The museum contains exhibits and artifacts relating to the history and legacy of United States Marine Corps Aviation. The outdoor exhibits include 31 historical aircraft, multiple military vehicles and equipment. Indoor exhibits feature photographs, artifacts and artwork from the early days of aviation to the present.
The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum has the largest collection of historical aircraft flown by U.S. Marine Corps aviators in the world. Currently on display in an outdoor setting are 31 aircraft from World War II to the present. Indoors there are 8 galleries displaying artwork, photographs, uniforms and artifacts from World War I to today.
The museum has a 27,000 square foot restoration hangar. There are future plans to build a 90,000 square foot museum building for indoor displays.
Aircraft on display
- Beechcraft T-34B Mentor 140688
- Bell AH-1J Sea Cobra 157784
- Bell 214ST 28166
- Bell UH-1L Iroquois 157824
- Boeing Vertol CH-46E Sea Knight 154803
- Douglas A-4C Skyhawk 148492
- Douglas A-4F Skyhawk 154204
- Douglas A-4M Skyhawk II 160264
- Douglas TA-4J Skyhawk 158467
- Douglas F3D-2 Skyknight 124630
- Douglas F4D-1 Skyray 139177
- General Motors TBM-3E Avenger 53726
- Grumman A-6E Intruder 154170
- Grumman F9F-2 Panther 123652
- Grumman F9F-8P Cougar 141722
- Hawker Siddeley AV-8C Harrier 158387
- McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee 124988
- McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet 161749
- McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet 163152
- McDonnell Douglas F-4S Phantom II 157246
- McDonnell Douglas RF-4B Phantom II 151981
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 81072
- North American SNJ-5 Texan 90866
- Northrop F-5E Tiger II 741564
- Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler 161882
- North American Rockwell OV-10D Bronco 155494
- Sikorsky CH-53A Sea Stallion 153304
- Sikorsky HRS-3 Chickasaw 130252
- Sikorsky HUS Seahorse 150219
- Vought F8U-2NE Crusader 150920
- Vought RF-8G Crusader 144617
- AAI RQ-2B Pioneer – This aircraft is mounted to the M927 Truck on display.
- AN/TPN-8A (Ground Control Approach (GCA) Radar Set)
- Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) Tug
- BMP-1 – This vehicle was captured from the Iraqi Army during Desert Storm.
- D-20 – This vehicle was captured from the Iraqi Army during Desert Storm.
- MT-LB – This vehicle was captured from the Iraqi Army during Desert Storm.
- Landing Signals Officer (LSO) Shack
- M101 Howitzer
- M1097 Avenger
- M927 Truck
- MIM-23 Hawk
- NC-2 Power Unit
- Bell HTL Sioux 64-15338
- Bell UH-1N Twin Huey 159198
- Stinson OY-1 Sentinel 42-14918
- Douglas A-4B Skyhawk 142879
- Douglas SBD-1 Dauntless 1612 – Under restoration
- Ford M151A2
- Kaman HOK-1 Huskie 139990
- Lockheed TO-1 33840
- North American PBJ-1J Mitchell 44-86727 – Under restoration
- Piasecki HUP-2 Retriever 128596 – Under restoration
- Vought RF-8G Crusader 146858
- Vought F4U-5N Corsair 122189 – Under restoration
- General Motors FM-2 Wildcat 16278
MCAS Miramar Post Exchange
The following items, being located away from the museum complex, are available only to visitors who have access to the post exchange.
- Douglas R4D-8 Skytrain 50835
- Douglas R5D Skymaster 90392
- Fairchild R4Q Packet 131708
Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.