Highgate Hill, Queensland facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsHighgate Hill
Toonarbin, Highgate Hill
|Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'strict' not found.|
|Population||6,194 (2016 census)|
|• Density||4,760/km2 (12,300/sq mi)|
|Area||1.3 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10:00)|
|Location||3.6 km (2 mi) SSW of Brisbane GPO|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane (The Gabba Ward)|
|State electorate(s)||South Brisbane|
Highgate Hill is a riverside inner southern suburb of the City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. In the 2016 census, Highgate Hill had a population of 6,194 people.
In the 2011 census, Highgate Hill recorded a population of 5,824 people, 48.7% female and 51.3% male. The median age of the Highgate Hill population was 34 years of age, 3 years below the Australian median. 59.2% of people living in Highgate Hill were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were England 3.9%, Greece 3.8%, New Zealand 3%, China 1.8%, India 1.7%. 66.3% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 7.9% Greek, 2.5% Mandarin, 1.7% Vietnamese, 1.6% Spanish, 1% French.
On the eastern side of the suburb Gloucester Street railway station once provided better rail access. The station was removed in 1978, with little indication of its existence remaining.
Highgate Hill has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 14-20 Blakeney Street: Rochemount/Tarong
- 35 Brighton Road: Franklin Villa
- 81 Dornoch Terrace: Topham Residence
- 100 Dornoch Terrace: Cleona
- 116 Dornoch Terrace: Kinauld
- 117 Dornoch Terrace: Carinya
- 121 Dornoch Terrace: Lutmis
- 132 Dornoch Terrace: Glenview
- 147 Dornoch Terrace: Giles Residence
- 182 Dornoch Terrace: Torbreck
- 191 Dornoch Terrace: Fire hydrant
- 11 Franklin Street: Merkara
- 17 Franklin Street: Allawah
- 21 Franklin Street: Eversly
- 21 & 23 Gladstone Road: Orana
- 113 Gladstone Road: Highgate Hill Reservoir
- 3 Hampstead Road: Carmel Court
- 27 Hampstead Road: Wairuna
- 94 Hampstead Road: Highgate Hill Park
- 1 & 3 Marly Street: Barne
- 25 Sexton Street: Nott cottage
- 11 Westbourne Street: Lanark
- 15 Westbourne Street: Le Jardin
- 19, 23 & 27 Westbourne Street: Front Fence Remnant from 'Tarong'
Highgate Hill is serviced by a number of bus services operated by the Brisbane City Council. These are the following.
- Number 192 UQ Lakes - Highgate Hill - City
- Number 196 New Farm - Fairfield Gardens
- Number 198 Highgate Hill Hail and Ride local bus
The nearest train stations to Highgate Hill are at South Bank Railway Station and Dutton Park Railway Station . On the eastern side of the suburb Gloucester Street railway station once provided better rail access. The station was removed in 1978, with little indication of its existence remaining.
Images for kids
Entrance to the Kinauld residence on Dornoch Terrace, 2015
|Mary the Jewess|