Highgate Hill, Queensland facts for kids
The rolling topography of Highgate Hill
|Area:||1.2 km² (0.5 sq mi)|
|Location:||2 km (1 mi) from Brisbane|
|LGA:||City of Brisbane (The Gabba Ward)|
|State District:||South Brisbane|
Highgate Hill is a suburb of inner Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south of the Brisbane CBD on the Brisbane River. The topography of the suburb is undulating hills no more than 70 metres (230 ft) above sea level.
Highgate Hill is a high-density suburb with many apartment buildings, some more than 10 storeys. These apartment blocks are centered along the main road of Dornoch Terrace, a trend that was started in 1960 by the landmark Torbreck building. Proximity to and views of the Brisbane central business district have drawn residents to the area.
In the 2011 census, Highgate Hill recorded a population of 5,824 people, 48.7% female and 51.3% male. The median age of the Highgate Hill population was 34 years of age, 3 years below the Australian median. 59.2% of people living in Highgate Hill were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were England 3.9%, Greece 3.8%, New Zealand 3%, China 1.8%, India 1.7%. 66.3% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 7.9% Greek, 2.5% Mandarin, 1.7% Vietnamese, 1.6% Spanish, 1% French.
On the eastern side of the suburb Gloucester Street railway station once provided better rail access. The station was removed in 1978, with little indication of its existence remaining.
Highgate Hill has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 14-20 Blakeney Street: Rochemount/Tarong
- 35 Brighton Road: Franklin Villa
- 81 Dornoch Terrace: Topham Residence
- 100 Dornoch Terrace: Cleona
- 116 Dornoch Terrace: Kinauld
- 117 Dornoch Terrace: Carinya
- 121 Dornoch Terrace: Lutmis
- 132 Dornoch Terrace: Glenview
- 147 Dornoch Terrace: Giles Residence
- 182 Dornoch Terrace: Torbreck
- 191 Dornoch Terrace: Fire hydrant
- 11 Franklin Street: Merkara
- 17 Franklin Street: Allawah
- 21 Franklin Street: Eversly
- 21 & 23 Gladstone Road: Orana
- 113 Gladstone Road: Highgate Hill Reservoir
- 3 Hampstead Road: Carmel Court
- 27 Hampstead Road: Wairuna
- 94 Hampstead Road: Highgate Hill Park
- 1 & 3 Marly Street: Barne
- 25 Sexton Street: Nott cottage
- 11 Westbourne Street: Lanark
- 15 Westbourne Street: Le Jardin
- 19, 23 & 27 Westbourne Street: Front Fence Remnant from 'Tarong'
Highgate Hill, Queensland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.