Landa, North Dakota facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Landa, North Dakota
City
Grain elevator in Landa
Grain elevator in Landa
Location of Landa, North Dakota
Location of Landa, North Dakota
Country United States
State North Dakota
County Bottineau
Area
 • Total 0.08 sq mi (0.21 km2)
 • Land 0.08 sq mi (0.21 km2)
 • Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 1,483 ft (452 m)
Population (2010)
 • Total 38
 • Estimate (2014) 39
 • Density 475.0/sq mi (183.4/km2)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 58783
Area code(s) 701
FIPS code 38-44700
GNIS feature ID 1029823

Landa is a city in Bottineau County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 38 at the 2010 census. Landa was founded in 1904.

History

The extension westward of the railroad in 1903 led to the establishment of Landa along the Great Northern Railway. Originally named Strabane, Norwegian immigrants renamed it after Daniel D. Landa and Theodore T. Landa, early settlers in the area.

Landa once had a bank, a hardware store, a lumber yard, a hotel, and other business establishments. Landa incorporated as a city in 1922, and showed a population of 140 during the 1930 Census.

Geography

Landa is located in Scotia Township in the northern part of the county. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.08 square miles (0.21 km2), all of it land.

Demographics

Historical population
Census Pop.
1930 140
1940 149 6.4%
1950 132 −11.4%
1960 110 −16.7%
1970 61 −44.5%
1980 62 1.6%
1990 38 −38.7%
2000 28 −26.3%
2010 38 35.7%
Est. 2015 39 2.6%
U.S. Decennial Census
2014 Estimate

2010 census

As of the census of 2010, there were 38 people, 17 households, and 10 families residing in the city. The population density was 475.0 inhabitants per square mile (183.4/km2). There were 22 housing units at an average density of 275.0 per square mile (106.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.0% White.

There were 17 households of which 17.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, and 41.2% were non-families. 35.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.90.

The median age in the city was 50 years. 23.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 2.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 15.8% were from 25 to 44; 36.9% were from 45 to 64; and 21.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 57.9% male and 42.1% female.

2000 census

As of the census of 2000, there were 28 people, 15 households, and 7 families residing in the city. The population density was 386.1 people per square mile (154.4/km²). There were 28 housing units at an average density of 386.1 per square mile (154.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White.

There were 15 households out of which 13.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.0% were married couples living together, and 53.3% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals and none had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.87 and the average family size was 2.43.

In the city, the population was spread out with 7.1% under the age of 18, 17.9% from 18 to 24, 25.0% from 25 to 44, 46.4% from 45 to 64, and 3.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 133.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 160.0 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $26,500, and the median income for a family was $26,000. Males had a median income of $25,625 versus $8,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,109. None of the population and none of the families were below the poverty line.


Landa, North Dakota Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.