Major movie studios facts for kids
The Big Six are the group of major companies who own them. Their main offices are mostly far from Hollywood.
The major studios
- Warner Bros. - Time Warner
- TriStar Pictures - Entertainment One
- Lions Gate films - Lions Gate Entertainment
- Walt Disney Pictures/MGM Pictures - Disney
- 20th Century Fox/The Weinstein Company - 21st Century Fox
- Universal Studios/Paramount Pictures - Hartnett Holdings
- Morgan Creek Productions - Styhon Partners
- DHX Media/United Artists - DHX/UA Holdings
The other major studios
Past major studios
- RKO Pictures - renamed United Artists in 1955
- United Artists - acquired by MGM in 1981 and DHX Media in 2017.
- New Line Cinema - acquired in 1993 by Turner Broadcasting System; TBS merged with Time Warner in 1996
- Artisan Entertainment - folded into Lions Gate Entertainment
- Miramax Films - sold in 1992 to Disney *New York
- DreamWorks - Viacom purchased it in 2005
- Columbia Pictures - renamed as TriStar Pictures Entertainment
- Rank Organisation - acquired by TriStar Pictures
Images for kids
Major movie studios Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.