Matthews, North Carolina facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Matthews, North Carolina
Matthews Town Hall and library
Location of Matthews, North Carolina
|County||Mecklenburg and Union|
|• Total||17.19 sq mi (44.53 km2)|
|• Land||17.11 sq mi (44.33 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.21 km2)|
|Elevation||745 ft (227 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||1,936.20/sq mi (747.59/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2406108|
The town was named for an early settler.
Matthews is located at(35.116851, -80.716409).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 17.2 square miles (45 km2), all of it land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2006-2008 American Community Survey, there were 26,901 people, 11,349 households, and 7,904 families in the town. According to the Census Bureau of 2000, the population density was 1,557.1 people per square mile (601.2/km2). There were 138 housing units at an average density of 572.7 per square mile (221.1/km2). According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey, The racial makeup of the town was 82.3% White, 10.1% African American or Black, 0.3% American Indian or Alaska Native, 3.7% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 1.8% of other race, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.3% of the population.
There were 7,904 households, of which 36.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.4% were married/couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 22.4% of households were one person and 8.2% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.08.
The age distribution was 29.9% under the age of 19, 3.2% from 20 to 24, 25.6% from 25 to 44, 30.3% from 45 to 64, and 11% 65 or older. The median age was 40.3 years.
The median household income was $77,981 and the median family income was $88,600. Males had a median income of $65,909 versus $44,665 for females. The per capita income for the town was $35,250. About 2.8% of families and 3.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.6% of those under age 18 and 4.9% of those age 65 or over.
Matthews is twinned with:
- Sainte-Maxime, France
Companies with headquarters in Matthews include:
- Family Dollar Stores, a store chain.
- Harris Teeter, a grocery store chain.
- Pokertek, a gaming device manufacturer.
Matthews is in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools system and a small portion is in the Union County Public School system. Schools include Matthews Elementary, Crown Point Elementary, and Elizabeth Lane Elementary; Crestdale Middle; David W. Butler High School. Union County Public Schools include Antioch, Weddington, Wesley Chapel, and Indian Trail Elementaries; Weddington Middle, and Weddington High School. Public charter schools include Matthews Charter Academy and Socrates Academy. Religious schools nearby include Covenant Day School, Charlotte Christian School, Carmel Christian, Blessed Sacrament Academy, and Greyfriars Classical Academy.
Matthews is served by a branch of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library. The library is located on the first floor of the Matthews Town Hall and is one of the most active in the system.
Matthews is home to professional soccer club Stumptown Athletic, named after the suburb's nickname. It was founded in 2019 and plays in US Soccer's third division, the National Independent Soccer Association. Its home stadium is the 5,000 capacity Sportsplex at Matthews.
- Jamar Adams, NFL safety
- Tyler Barnhardt, actor
- J. Curtis Blackwood Jr., Republican member of the North Carolina General Assembly
- Robert Blanton, NFL strong safety
- Jarrett Boykin, wide receiver in both the NFL and CFL
- Cierra Burdick, WNBA player
- Ty Buttrey, MLB pitcher
- Dion Byrum, football cornerback
- Tricia Cotham, Democratic member of the North Carolina House of Representatives
- Brooklyn Decker, model and actress best known for her appearances in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
- Jahwan Edwards, football running back
- Riley Ferguson, football quarterback
- Jim Gulley, member of the North Carolina General Assembly
- Tomas Hilliard-Arce, professional soccer player
- Darius Kilgo, NFL defensive tackle and two-time Super Bowl champion
- Jordan Lloyd, winner of the reality TV show Big Brother 11 and contestant on Big Brother 13 and The Amazing Race 16
- Kenneth Moore, NFL wide receiver
- Jerry Reary, NASCAR driver
- Channing Stribling, football cornerback
Matthews, North Carolina Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.