Ricky Martin facts for kids
Enrique Martín Morales (born December 24, 1971), better known as Ricky Martin is a Puerto Rican singer, actor and author who is widely regarded as the "King of Latin Pop". He holds dual American and Spanish citizenship, and began his career at age 12 with the all-boy pop group Menudo. After five years with the group, he released several Spanish-language solo albums throughout the 1990s. Since the beginning of his solo career in 1991, Ricky Martin has sold over 70 million albums, making him one of the best-selling Latin music artists of all time. He also acted on stage and on TV in Mexico, where he achieved modest stardom. In 1994, he appeared on the US TV soap opera General Hospital, playing a Puerto Rican singer. He also ranks among the most influential Latin artists of all time.
In early 1999, after releasing several albums in Spanish, Martin performed "The Cup of Life" at the 41st Annual Grammy Awards show, which became a catalyst in bringing Latin pop to the forefront of the U.S. music scene. Following its success, Martin released "Livin' la Vida Loca", which helped him attain enormous success worldwide; it is generally seen as the song that began the Latin pop explosion of 1999 and made the transition easier for other Spanish-speaking artists to move into the English-speaking market. His first English-language album (also titled Ricky Martin), has sold 15 million copies and it's his best selling album to date. His other studio albums include: Me Amarás (1993), A Medio Vivir (1995), Vuelve (1998), Sound Loaded (2000), Almas del Silencio (2003), Life (2005), Música + Alma + Sexo (2011), and A Quien Quiera Escuchar (2015). In 2018, he portrayed Antonio D'Amico on The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story for which he received a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie Enrico Martinez del Morales (born on December 24, 1971), stage name Ricky Martin, is a Grammy Award and Latin Grammy Award-winning Puerto Rican-American pop singer, dancer, musician, recording artist and actor. He was a member of the Latin boy band Menudo. From 1991 he has worked as a solo act. He has sold over 55 million albums around the world. He has 21 Top 10 songs on the US Latin Charts, including eight which made Number One.
- Ricky Martin (1991)
- Me Amarás (1993)
- A Medio Vivir (1995)
- Vuelve (1998)
- Ricky Martin (1999)
- Sound Loaded (2000)
- Almas del Silencio (2003)
- Life (2005)
- Música + Alma + Sexo (2011)
- A Quien Quiera Escuchar (2015)
- 1985: The Love Boat (TV series) as Ricky
- 1987: Por siempre amigos (Argentina TV series) as Ricky
- 1991: Alcanzar una estrella II (TV series) as Pablo Loredo
- 1992: Más que alcanzar una estrella as Enrique
- 1993: Getting By (TV series) as Martin
- 1994: General Hospital (TV series) as Miguel Morez (1994–95)
- 1996: Barefoot in Paradise (TV series) as Sandoval
- 1997: Hercules (Latin American dub, voice role) as Hercules
- 1999: Idle Hands as Man in Car Park
- 2000: MADtv (TV series) as himself
- 2006: Sos mi vida (Argentina TV series) as himself
- 2011: The Oprah Winfrey Show: guest
- 2011: Susana Giménez: guest
- 2011: American Dad! as himself (uncredited)
- 2012: Glee (TV series) as David Martínez
- 2013: The Voice Australia as Himself (Coach)
- 2014: Dancing with the Stars (TV series) as Himself (Judge)
- 2014: The Voice Australia as Himself (Coach)
- 2014: La Voz... México as Himself (Coach)
- 2014: The Voice Arabia as Himself (guest judge)
- 2015: Minions (Latin American dub, voice role) as Herb Overkill
- 2015: The Voice Australia as Himself (Coach)
- 2015: La Banda as himself (judge and executive producer)
- 2015: Nuestra Belleza Latina 2015 as himself (Celebrity guest)
- 2017: Lip Sync Battle as himself (winner vs. Kate Upton)
- 2018: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story as Antonio D'Amico
- 2019: Amici di Maria De Filippi as Himself (Coach)
- Ricky Martin Tour (1992)
- Me Amaras Tour (1993–1994)
- A Medio Vivir Tour (1995–1997)
- Vuelve World Tour (1998)
- Livin' la Vida Loca Tour (1999–2000)
- One Night Only with Ricky Martin (2005–2006)
- Black and White Tour (2007)
- Música + Alma + Sexo World Tour (2011)
- Ricky Martin Live (2013–2014)
- Live in Mexico (2014)
- One World Tour (2015–2017)
- Ricky Martin en Concierto (2018)
Honors and awards
Ricky Martin has received numerous awards, including 2 Grammy Awards, 4 Latin Grammy Awards, 5 MTV Video Music Awards, 3 Billboard Music Awards, 9 Billboard Latin Music Awards, 2 American Music Awards, 2 Latin American Music Awards, 8 World Music Awards and has been Emmy-nominated.
- Martin was chosen along with Félix Trinidad in 1999, to lead Puerto Rico's worldwide tourism campaign, both exemplifying Puerto Rico's youthfulness, enthusiasm and indefatigable character.
- In February 2004, Martin received the Excellence Award at the Lo Nuestro Awards in Miami.
- Martin was honored as the 2006 Latin Recording Academy Person of the Year by the Latin Recording Academy on November 1, 2006. He was chosen for his accomplishments as a world-renowned entertainer, consummate performer and passionate humanitarian. A portion of the proceeds from the evening's tribute dinner was used for benefitting Ricky Martin's charitable efforts.
- On October 16, 2007, Martin received the 2351st Hollywood Walk of Fame star, shortly after receiving the key to the city of Miami Beach, Florida on October 11. The star is located beside the Hollywood and Highland complex. Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Rita Moreno were invited to the unveiling ceremony.
- In 2011, Martin was awarded Spanish citizenship to honor his contributions to the arts.
Images for kids
Ricky Martin Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.