- Sometimes Sacrament can stand for Eucharist
Sacraments in the Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic Church knows seven such sacraments. These are
- Baptism - usually given shortly after birth, it is meant to forgive original sin.
- Confirmation - done when reaching maturity
- Holy Eucharist - The body and blood of Jesus Christ is eaten to remember the Last Supper.
- Holy orders - the deacon, the priest and bishop.
- Penance and remission of sins
- Anointing of the Sick - used to be known as Last Rites, given shortly before death
Following Martin Luther's tradition, many Protestant churches see only Baptism and Eucharist as Sacraments. They also have most of the other rites, but do not consider them to be sacraments.
Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox views
Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches basically have the same views as the Roman Catholic Church. They say however, that many things the church does (as church), can be seen as sacraments, in some way.
Images for kids
Sacrament Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.