Tremont, Bronx facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Neighborhood of The Bronx
The Grand Concourse runs through the neighborhood
|City||New York City|
|• Total||0.301 sq mi (0.78 km2)|
|• Density||82,190/sq mi (31,730/km2)|
|• Median income||$26,290|
|Area code||718, 347, 646|
Tremont, is a residential neighborhood geographically located in the west Bronx, New York City. The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 6. Its boundaries, starting from the north and moving clockwise are: East 181st Street to the north, Southern Boulevard to the east, the Cross-Bronx Expressway to the south, and the Grand Concourse to the West. East Tremont Avenue is the primary thoroughfare through Tremont. The local subway is the IND Concourse Line (B D trains), operating along the Grand Concourse. Zip codes include 10453 and 10457. The area is patrolled by the NYPD's 48th Precinct located at 450 Cross Bronx Expressway within Tremont.
Tremont has a population of around 24,739. The neighborhood is now predominantly Dominican, with a significant longstanding Puerto Rican and African American population.
Land use and terrain
Tremont is dominated by 5 and 6-story apartment houses. The total land area is less than 1-square-mile (2.6 km2). The area is elevated above adjacent areas and is very hilly. Stair streets connect areas located at different elevations.
Morris Avenue Historic District
The landmarked Morris Avenue Historic District lines Morris Avenue between East Tremont and East 179th Street. The district consists of attached brownstones.
Rather than having come from a colonial settlement, the name "Tremont" was invented by a postmaster in the 1800s, derived from the three ("tre") neighborhoods of Mount Eden, Mount Hope, and Fairmount in the west-central Bronx.
- Bx1: Riverdale to Third Avenue – 138th Street station (6 <6> trains, via Grand Concourse)
- Bx2: Kingsbridge Heights to Third Avenue – 138th Street station (6 <6> trains, via Grand Concourse)
- Bx36: Castle Hill to George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal (via 180th Street)
- Bx40: to SUNY Maritime College or Morris Heights (via Tremont and Burnside Avenues)
- Bx41 (including SBS): to Gun Hill Road station (2 5 trains) or Third Avenue – 149th Street station (2 5 trains, via Webster Avenue)
- Bx42: Throgs Neck to Morris Heights (via Tremont and Burnside Avenues)
- Tremont Avenue station (B D trains)
- 182nd–183rd Streets station (B D trains)
- 176th Street station (4 train)
- Burnside Avenue station (4 train)
- 183rd Street station (4 train)
- Tremont Station (Metro-North)
Tremont, Bronx Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.