Wacky Races (2017 TV series) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsWacky Races
|Developed by||Rebecca Himot and Tramm Wigzell|
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||78 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||11 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Cartoons
Warner Bros. Animation
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||August 14, 2017– November 24, 2019|
|Related shows||Wacky Races
Wacky Races is an American animated television series created by Rebecca Himot and Tramm Wigzell. It is a reboot of the 1968-69 Hanna-Barbera animated series of the same name. The show debuted in 2017 on Boomerang's video on demand service in the United States. Wacky Races was picked up for a second season.
The series features the return of characters from the original Wacky Races program, including Dick Dastardly, Muttley, Penelope Pitstop, Peter Perfect and the Gruesome Twosome. Several new characters were introduced as well, including I. Q. Ickly, Brick Crashman, P. T. Barnstorm, and Pandora Pitstop.
While the reboot stays true to the original series, it also focuses on the Racers' personal lives; storylines are added and there usually is no actual winner or loser at the end of each race. There is also meta-humor and fourth wall breaking.
- Dick Dastardly III and Muttley (voiced by Peter Woodward and Billy West): In this modern series, Dick Dastardly is still up to his usual trickery and cheating activities, though is now often badgered into either being nice or not cheating by Peter Perfect. Unlike before, his appearance is predominantly purple in color instead of blue, red and purple. Muttley, however, has undergone virtually no changes aside from his outward appearance, still either snickering or grumbling. In "Mother Knows Best", it is revealed that Dick Dastardly is actually the son/descendant of the original Dick Dastardly from the original Wacky Races series, who is also the husband of Delilah Dastardly. However, in "Grandfather Knows Dast", his grandfather is actually revealed to be the original Dick Dastardly from the original Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines series.
- Penelope Pitstop (voiced by Nicole Parker): Another original character, Penelope Pitstop has undergone the most changes from the original, both in appearance and outlook. While more assertive and much less of a damsel in distress than the original, she is still often the goody-two-shoes of the group, and still talks like a Southern belle. Like before, her appearance is predominantly pink with hearts.
- Peter Perfect (voiced by Diedrich Bader): Like Dastardly and Muttley, largely unchanged from the original, although he is a bit more taunting of Dastardly than before. His appearance is predominantly orange and red.
- Tiny and Bella – the Gruesome Twosome (voiced by Billy West and Tom Kenny): They round out the characters from the original series, and are the closest to their original versions in most every respect.
- Ignatius Quinton "I. Q." Ickly (voiced by Jill Talley): A new character who is often called a "walking encyclopaedia" by Dastardly, and has little social capability. Like Professor Pat Pending before him he is a genius with a large amount of inventions that he uses throughout the race. As he is only ten years old he doesn't actually drive, his car drives itself due to it being a sentient AI.
- Pandora Pitstop (voiced by Nicole Parker): A new character. Penelope's evil (and 12 seconds younger) twin sister and frequent guest Racer. She is similar to Penelope except her outfit is predominantly purple and is often meaner and more underhanded than even Dastardly is. She often allies with Dastardly, but usually to her ends.
- Captain Dash, Polly, Bugsy, Bluebeard and Davey Bones (voiced by Billy West and Tom Kenny): A gang of pirates that often steal gigs from Dastardly.
- Brick Crashman (voiced by Christopher Judge): The announcer for the Wacky Races.
- P. T. Barnstorm (voiced by Jill Talley): The owner and sponsor for the Wacky Races.
- Huckleberry Hound (voiced by Billy West): a guest racer and Peter Perfect’s stunt double
- Snagglepuss (voiced by Billy West and Tom Kenny)
- Hong Kong Phooey (voiced by Phil LaMarr)
- Quick Draw McGraw (voiced by Billy West)
- Touché Turtle (voiced by Billy West): a guest racer
- Ricochet Rabbit (voiced by Tom Kenny): a guest racer.
- Dalton Brothers
- Scrappy-Doo (voiced by Tom Kenny): Scooby-Doo's nephew
- Mr. Jinks (voiced by Billy West)
- Top Cat
- Benny the Ball
List of Wacky Races (2017 TV series) episodes
Wacky Races premiered internationally in 2017. The first episode was released on Boomerang's SVOD service in the United States on August 14, 2017. The other 11 episodes were released on August 31, 2017.
The series was first shown on television in the United States on the Boomerang channel, with the episode "Under the Rainbow" airing on Boomerang as a preview on February 22, 2018, and the series officially premiering on the Boomerang channel on May 21, 2018, alongside another show from Boomerang's SVOD service, Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.
The series aired as a repeat on Cartoon Network on August 13, 2018.
The series premiered on Boomerang in Sub-Saharan Africa in October 2017. Wacky Races premiered on Boomerang in Australia on August 14, 2017. The series premiered in India on Pogo on August 27, 2017. The series premiered in the United Kingdom and Ireland on Boomerang on October 13, 2017. The series also premiered in Brazil on Boomerang and in Canada on Teletoon on November 6, 2017. The series premiered in Japan on Boomerang on February 4, 2018. The series premiered in Spain on Boing on July 30, 2018.
Start Your Engines!, a DVD release containing the first 10 episodes of the series, was released on April 24, 2018.
Wacky Races (2017 TV series) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.