1197 facts for kids
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1160s 1170s 1180s – 1190s – 1200s 1210s 1220s|
|Years:||1194 1195 1196 – 1197 – 1198 1199 1200|
|Ab urbe condita||1950|
|Balinese saka calendar||1118–1119|
|English Regnal year||8 Ric. 1 – 9 Ric. 1|
|Chinese calendar||丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)
3893 or 3833
— to —
丁巳年 (Fire Snake)
3894 or 3834
|- Vikram Samvat||1253–1254|
|- Shaka Samvat||1118–1119|
|- Kali Yuga||4297–4298|
|Japanese calendar||Kenkyū 8
|Minguo calendar||715 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1508/1509 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1739–1740|
1323 or 942 or 170
— to —
1324 or 943 or 171
1197 (MCXCVII) was a common year starting on Wednesday of the Julian calendar, the 1197th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 197th year of the 2nd millennium, the 97th year of the 12th century, and the 8th year of the 1190s decade.
- Amalric II succeeds Henry II of Champagne as King of Jerusalem.
- Theobald III becomes Count of Champagne.
- The town of Arbroath, Angus, Scotland is consecrated, and dedicated to St Thomas Becket.
- Kaloyan becomes tsar of Bulgaria.
- Corfu is occupied by the Genoese.
- Hubert Walter, Archbishop of Canterbury, negotiates a peace with Wales.
- North Crawley is split into Great Crawley and Little Crawley.
- Philip of Swabia marries Irene Angela, daughter of Byzantine emperor Isaac II.
- October 22 — Emperor Juntoku of Japan (d. 1242)
- Amadeus IV of Savoy (d. 1253)
- Raymond VII of Toulouse (d. 1249)
- January — William Longchamp, Lord Chancellor of England and bishop
- April 28 — Rhys ap Gruffydd, Welsh ruler (b. 1132)
- September 10 — Henry II of Champagne (b. 1166)
- September 28 — Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1165)
- Marguerite of France, daughter of Louis VII of France (b. 1158)
Images for kids
1197 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.