kids encyclopedia robot

Beverley, South Australia facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
AdelaideSouth Australia
East ave.JPG
East Avenue, Beverley
Population 1,498 (2016 census)
Established 1849
Postcode(s) 5009
Location 6.1 km (4 mi) NW of Adelaide city centre
LGA(s) City of Charles Sturt
State electorate(s) Cheltenham
Federal Division(s) Hindmarsh
Suburbs around Beverley:
Woodville South Woodville Park Kilkenny, West Croydon
Woodville South Beverley Allenby Gardens
Findon Flinders Park Flinders Park

Beverley is a western suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of Charles Sturt.


The suburb is mainly bounded by Port Road, East Avenue, Ledger Road and Grange Road.


Beverley incorporates the formerly separate suburb of York, site of the skin and fertiliser works of Crompton and Sons. Other once important manufacturing businesses of the area were Pope Products Ltd. on Princess Street, Adelaide Potteries Ltd. on Toogood Avenue and a number of independent brickworks.

Beverley Post Office was open from 1 January 1881 until 1901.


The 2016 Census by the Australian Bureau of Statistics counted 1,498 persons in Allenby Gardens on census night. Of these, 52.7% were male and 47.3% were female.

The majority of residents (68.0%) are of Australian birth, with other common census responses being India (5.3%), England (1.9%), Italy (1.6%), China (1.4%), and Greece (1.3%). Additionally, people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent made up 1.2% of the suburb.

In terms of religious affiliation, 33.2% of residents attributed themselves to being irreligious, 19.3% attributed themselves to being Catholic, 7.7% attributed themselves to be Eastern Orthodox, and 5.0 attributed themselves to being Anglican. Within Allenby Gardens, 93.1% of the residents were employed, with the remaining 6.9% being unemployed.



St Michael's College is located on East Avenue.

Facilities and attractions

Adelaide Arena

Adelaide Arena, located between William Street and Toogood Avenue, is an indoor basketball stadium and function centre. Also known as Distinctive Homes Dome and, formerly, Clipsal Powerhouse, the facility was constructed in 1991, replacing the former Apollo Stadium. It is the home of the Adelaide 36ers and the Adelaide Lightning.



Beverley is serviced by Port Road, connecting the suburb to Port Adelaide and Adelaide city centre, and Grange Road, which forms part of its southern boundary. East Avenue, on Beverley's eastern boundary, links Port and Grange roads.

Public transport

Beverley is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro.

kids search engine
Beverley, South Australia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.