kids encyclopedia robot

Allenby Gardens, South Australia facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
Allenby Gardens
AdelaideSouth Australia
Allenby Gardens street 1.jpg
Street in Allenby Gardens
Established 1922
Postcode(s) 5009
Location 4.7 km (3 mi) NW of Adelaide city centre
LGA(s) City of Charles Sturt
State electorate(s) Croydon
West Torrens
Federal Division(s) Adelaide
Suburbs around Allenby Gardens:
Beverley West Croydon West Croydon
Beverley Allenby Gardens Welland
Flinders Park Torrensville Torrensville

Allenby Gardens is a western suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of Charles Sturt.


Laid out in 1922, the suburb was briefly advertised as Gallipoli Gardens before being named Allenby Gardens in honour of the British Field Marshal, Lord Allenby.

The first Allenby Gardens Post Office was renamed West Croydon, South Australia on 1 March 1945; on the same day a new office opened within the present boundaries of the suburb.


The 2016 Census by the Australian Bureau of Statistics counted 1,868 persons in Allenby Gardens on census night. Of these, 49.1% were male and 50.9% were female.

The majority of residents (73.4%) are of Australian birth, with other common census responses being Italy (3.2%), England (2.7%), India (2.5%), Vietnam (2.1%), and Greece (1.7%). Additionally, people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent made up 1.0% of the suburb.

The age distribution of Allenby Gardens residents is similar to that of the greater Australian population. 70.4% of residents were over 24 years in 2016, compared to the Australian average of 68.5%; and 29.6% were younger than 24 years, compared to the Australian average of 31.5%.

In terms of religious affiliation, 26.8% of residents attributed themselves to being Catholic, 26.4% attributed themselves to being irreligious, 12.4% attributed themselves to be Eastern Orthodox, and 7.1% attributed themselves to being Anglican. Within Allenby Gardens, 93.9% of the residents were employed, with the remaining 6.1% being unemployed.


Allenby Gardens Primary School is located on Barham Street. It been in operation since 1926.

kids search engine
Allenby Gardens, South Australia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.