Chavara Thekkumbhagom facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kollam|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Chavara|
Coordinates: 8°57'48"N 76°33'43"E
Chavara Thekkumbhagom fully surrounded by the Ashtamudi lake. Beyond lake this place is bordered by Thevalakkara Panchayath on north, Kollam town on south, Thrikkaruva Panchayath on east and Chavara, Neendakara Panchayath on west.
The Nearest and main railway station is the Kollam Railway Station. Transportaion is provided by State owned Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and private transport bus operators from Thekkumbhagom to Karunagappally via Pavumba bridge and Karunagappally to Kollam via Thekkumbhagom and Pallikkodi-Dalavapuram bridge (Inaugurated in 2007).
The Kerala State Water Transport Department operates boat services from Kollam to West Kallada, Muthirapparambu, Munroe Island and Alappuzha. The Kollam-Muthirapparambu boat service attracts a lot of tourist attention. The main boat jetties in the Panchayath are Guhanandapuram, Pallikkodi, Tholukadavu and Pavumba Jetty.
Educational institutions in this Panchayath are
- Guhanandapuram H.S.S., Chavara South
- Govt. U.P. School, Chavara South
- N.S.S L.P.S., Vadakkumbhagom
- L.V., L.P.S., Chavara South
Some Professional and Arts colleges near Thekkumbhagom Village
- Govt College, Chavara.
- MSN Institute of Management and Technology, Chavara
- S.N. College, Kollam
- Govt. Primary Health Center, Madathil Jn.
- Govt. Ayurveda Hospital, Nadakkavu Market Jn.
- Govt. Homoeo Hospital, Thekkumbhagom
- Govt. Veterinary Dispensary, Nadakkavu
- Krishi Bhavan, Nadakkavu Market Jn.
- Post Office, Madathil Jn.
- Kerala Water Authority, Nadakkavu Market Jn.
- Village Office, Nadakkavu
- BSNL Exchange, Chavara South
- SBI, Chavara South
- Thekkumbhagom Service Co-Operative Bank
- Vengayil Hospital, Madathil Jn.
- Athira Hospital(Orthopaedic centre)
- KSFE Thekkumbhagom Branch, Nadakkavu
Agriculture, Fishing, Coir etc. are themajor occupations in here.
All festivals based on the temples and Churches in the Panchayath.
There are various temples and Churches in Thekkumbhagom.
- Mukkath Siva Temple
- Dalavapuram Sree Daivamullathil Lekshmi Narayan Temple
- Panakkattodil Devi Temple (Valya Nada)
- Sree Narayanapuram Maha Vishnu Temple (Nadakkavu Temple)
- Udayadithyapuram Siva Kshethram
- Guhanandapuram Subramanya Swami Kshethram
- Ammayarnada sree durga devi temple,vadakkumbhagam
Since Thekkumbhagom is a semi-urban area, some follow an urban life style. Recreational activities include sports, such as football, cricket, kabbadi, volleyball, swimming etc. Thekkumbhagom has three main sports grounds. They are
- Panakkattodil Devi Temple Ground
- Shiva Nada Ground
- Nadakkavu Maithanam
- Kulangaraveli Ground
- St.Jeromes Church , Vadakkumbhagom
- Boat journey around Thekkumbhagom
- Pallikkodi-Dalavapuram bridge
- Traditional food items like Tapioca(Kappa or Cheeni), Pearl Spot Fish(Karimeen), Prawn(Konchu), Lobster(chemmen) and Kallummakkaya(Muringayirachi),njandu ((Crab))
- A walk through Thekkumbhagom roads on Thalappoli night.
- V.Sambasivan - a performer of the art Kadhaprasangam. written by himself and Othello by Shakespeare.
- അഴകത്ത് പത്മനാഭക്കുറുപ്പ് Template:Prettyurl
The first epic with the aim of Malayalam is the great poet Azhakath Padmanabha Kurup.
Chavara Thekkumbhagom Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.