Cooper, Minneapolis facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Cooper within the U.S. city of Minneapolis
|• Total||0.67 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|• Density||5,230/sq mi (2,019/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
The Cooper neighborhood (part of the larger Longfellow community) resides along the west shore of the Mississippi River in south Minneapolis. It is bound by 34th St. E. on the south, 38th Ave. S. on the west, 27th St. E. on the north, and the Mississippi River Gorge to the east. Bordering neighborhoods are Seward to the north, Longfellow to the west, and Howe to the south. St. Paul's Merriam Park neighborhood is just across the Mississippi River to the east.
The Mississippi River Gorge is unique to this stretch of the entire Mississippi. The river cut an eighty-plus foot gorge as what is now St. Anthony Falls moved upstream over thousands of years, finally stopping at downtown Minneapolis due to engineering work during the city's flour milling boom times. Today, the Mississippi River Gorge is a protected natural landscape.
Cooper is represented by the following people:
- City Council (2nd Ward): Cam Gordon
- City Council (12th Ward): Sandy Colvin Roy
- Minneapolis Park Board (3rd Precinct): Scott Vreeland
- Minneapolis Mayor:[ Betsy Hodges
- Hennepin County Commissioner: Peter McLaughlin
- Minnesota House of Representatives (District 62A): Jim Davnie
- Minnesota Senate (District 62): Patricia Torres Ray
- US House of Representatives Keith Ellison
Cooper, Minneapolis Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.