El Arish, Queensland facts for kids
El Arish Tavern, 2016
|Population||442 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||20 m (66 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Cassowary Coast Region|
|County||County of Nares|
|Parish||Parish of Hull|
The town is named after the city of Arish in Egypt where the Australian Light Horse saw action in December 1916 and which was later developed as a major base area with an allied hospital.
The town was founded in 1921 as a soldier settlement area. Many of the streets were named after high-ranking officers, including:
- Chauvel Street after General Harry Chauvel
- Glasgow Street after Major General Thomas William Glasgow
- Monash Street after General John Monash
- Royston Street after Brigadier General John Royston
- Ryrie Street after Major General Granville Ryrie
And some were named after general veterans such as:
- Francis Martin Street after Francis Paxton Martin who set up some soldier settlements in El Arish in the 1920s.
The El Arish War Memorial is located on the south-west corner of Monash and Ryrie Streets ().
The Maria Creek State School opened on 13 May 1922; it was renamed El Arish State School in 1925.
El Arish Post Office opened by 1926 (a receiving office had been open from 1921).
El Arish Tavern was established in 1927.
The area was later settled by Italian Australians who worked in the sugar cane fields.
The town was hit by Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi in February 2011.
Heritage-listed places in El Arish include:
- the former El Arish railway station, now the" El Arish History Station, which houses a small soldier settlement and local history museum collection. There is a social morning tea held in the museum almost every Friday of the year at 9am, and visitors are more than welcome. We charge $2 as a donation.
- the El Arish Tavern
- the El Arish RSL Memorial Hall. We are very proud of the fact that we still have our hall, thanks to a long line of local volunteers since 1930.
The El Arish Country Golf Club has a 9 hole course and is located on Golf Course Road ().
At the 2006 census, El Arish had a population of 232.
El Arish, Queensland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.