Enoshima facts for kids
Enoshima has an area of about 0.2 km². It is linked to the mainland by a bridge.
The island is at the mouth of the Katase River.
- 1047 (Eishō 2): Enoshima Engi was written by the Buddhist monk Kōkei. The work is a history of the shrines on the island.
- 1182 (Juei 1): Minamoto no Toritomo gave a statue to the Benzaiten shrine on the island.
- 1325 (Shōchū 2): Shōjōkō-ji was established. It is the Buddhist temple on the island.
- 1874 (Meiji 7): Samuel Cocking developed botanical gardens.
- 1964 (Shōwa 39): Sailing competitions during the 1964 Summer Olympics were scheduled near the island.
Images for kids
Looking towards Fujisawa from Enoshima Lighthouse
Enoshima Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.