Fishtronaut facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsFishtronaut
|Genre||Children's television series, Educational entertainment, Educational television|
|Created by||Célia Catunda
|Directed by||Célia Catunda
Rick Jones (voice)
|Voices of||Fábio Lucindo as Fishtronaut (Brazil)
Dawn Ford as Fishtronaut (USA)
Angela Galuppo as Marina (USA)
Terrence Scammell as Zeke and Happy Plumb (USA)
Rick Jones as Dr. Green (USA)
Justin Bradley as Mac and Billy (USA)
Holly Gauthier-Frankel as Rosy Barb (USA)
|Country of origin||Brazil
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||104 (each season contains 26 pairs of episodes) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||11 minutes (two episodes in a pair fill a 30 minute block)|
|Production company(s)||TV PinGuim
|Original network||Discovery Kids (Latin America)
(USA English dub)
Nick Jr. (other countries)
|Original release||April 20, 2009– April 10, 2015|
Fishtronaut (Portuguese: Peixonauta) is a Brazilian-American-British-Canadian animated children's television series created by Celia Catunda and Mistrorigo Clan (TV channel) and produced by TV PinGuim, in association with Discovery Kids (Latin America). The series tells the story of Fishtronaut, a fish in a spacesuit, similar to reverse scuba gear, which allows him to fly and breathe out of water. He is a secret agent who, along with his friends Marina and Zeek, unravel the mysteries occurring in the Smiling Trees Park. They solve the mysteries with the help of a P.O.P. (Primary Objective Pod), a magical multicolored ball containing clues vital to the mission. Viewers are invited to dance along with the heroes to a tune, so that the P.O.P. will open and release the clues inside. The series is aimed at children ages 3–7 and debuted successfully on Discovery Kids in Latin America on April 20, 2009.
In the international market, the series is marketed by the names of Peztronauta (Spanish) or Fishtronaut (English). After success on TV, Peixonauta was produced as a play called Peixonauta to TV Theatre, which premiered on January 9, 2011 in Rio de Janeiro. On November 9, 2012, a movie titled Peixonauta – Agente Secreto da O.S.T.R.A. (in English: Fishtronaut - Secret Agent of O.Y.S.T.E.R.) was released. From March 30, 2015 to December 25, 2020, the KiKa series also aired on the Qubo network, owned by Ion Media Networks.
The show has been noted for its success in teaching kids to care for the environment.
The show is set in the Smiling Trees Park, where elephants, monkeys and other animals from around the world roam free. Children are welcome to explore the forest and climb the trees, or ride a sub to the bottom of the cove and its colorful reef. In the park is Quiet Lake, which is fed by a long river. The river also extends beyond the lake into a sandy cove along the ocean.
- Fishtronaut (voiced by Dawn Ford) - (Portuguese: Peixonauta) – An anthropomorphic big goldfish. He wears a Bubblex suit that allows him to fly out of water. It also has numerous tools useful during missions. He is always watching his friends Marina and Zeek, and investigating the problems of the Smiling Trees Park in order to solve them. He lives at the bottom of Quiet Lake, though he spends more time out on the surface with his friends. He is also an aspiring inventor, creating machines generally useful to the park. He usually communicates through a video screen fitted into his suit.
- Marina (voiced by Angela Galuppo) - (full name: Marina Green) – A bright and curious brown-haired 10-year-old human girl who is also Fishtronaut's best friend. Every day, she proves to be a valuable member of the park's spy team. Whenever she and Fishtronaut happen to be apart, she can always use her trusty Aquawatch to stay in touch.
- Zeek (voiced by Terrence Scammell) - (Portuguese: Zico) – A tween-age monkey who may love to monkey around, but his awesome tree-climbing abilities and finely-tuned sniffer make him invaluable to the team. Though he does come up with the most implausible of theories and even causes the occasional mix-up, his intentions are nothing but the best.
- The Twins – Billy and Mac (Portuguese: Pedro e Juca) are Marina's rascal cousins. Their shenanigans tend to get them (and the park) in a heap of trouble, but they are harmless and have only the best intentions.
- Dr. Green (Portuguese: Dr. Jardim) (Voiced by Rick Jones) – Marina and the twins’ grandfather who is also the wise vet/caretaker of Smiling Trees Park. He runs the park's Animal Hospital, which was built in a pod of a giant beanstalk. Whenever Marina's stuck, she knows Grandpa can help her find the answer.
- Rosy Barb (Portuguese: Agente Rosa) (Voiced by Holly Gauthier-Frankel) – A S.E.A. agent who loves color and enjoys decorating the ocean bottom until it's just right. She knows the cove inside out and whenever Fishtronaut's on dry land, he can always check in with Rosy via the Web Clam.
- Happy Plumb (Portuguese: Chumbo Feliz) (Voiced by Terrence Scammell) – A wise old fish who likes living quietly at the bottom of the cove and knows just about all there is. No one knows how long he's been around, but it's a very long time, indeed. He remembers the very beginnings of Smiling Trees Park. Whenever Fishtronaut is stumped, he knows Happy Plumb can point him in the right direction, that is, if he can decipher Plumb's riddle of an answer.
Fishtronaut was first broadcast on Brazil and the rest of Latin America on April 20, 2009 on Discovery Kids and Nick Jr. with the name Peixonauta in Portuguese and Peztronauta in Spanish. The Spanish version of the show was dubbed in Chile by DINT Doblajes Internacionales. There is another Spanish dub that airs in Spain by Clan, owned by RTVE, and the characters speak in a Spanish accent. The series has been broadcast in the United States by Netflix and Qubo. In the United Kingdom, Fishtronaut is the same title as in the United States and Canada, but the characters speak in a British accent instead of a Canadian one, and this dubbed version was broadcast by Nick Jr., CBeebies and Channel 5. The series also has been aired in France by Nickelodeon Junior (the French version of Nick Jr.) and TFOU (with its French name called Poissonaute), in Germany on Nick Jr. and Toggolino (with the German name called Fischtronaut), in Italy by JimJam, Nick Jr. and Cartoonito (with its Italian name Pescionauta), in Poland on MiniMini+ (with the Polish name called Rybonauta) and in the Netherlands on Nick Jr. (with its Dutch name called Vistronaut). The series also has aired in Eastern Europe by Minimax. In Indonesia, it was broadcast by Nick Jr. and GTV.
The film Peixonauta – Agente Secreto da O.S.T.R.A. was released in theaters on November 9, 2012, in commemoration of three years of the series. The film was planned for two years and was released months before the premiere of season 2 of the TV series. The film is a compilation of some episodes of the first season.
A second film was released in January 2018, with an original story.
Fishtronaut Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.