Five Pillars of Islam facts for kids
The Five Pillars consist of :
- The Shahadah (declaration of faith) - Trusting and understanding the words of the Shahadah. The shahadah means there is no other god except Allah(one God) and Prophet Muhammad is the messenger/prophet of Allah. The shahadah can be recited when a person chooses to revert to Islam as the words in the shahadah are the key fundamental beliefs in Islam.
- Prayer (Salat) - Praying five times a day, kneeling towards Mecca. There are specific ritualistic movements and prayers that are said.
- Fasting during the month of Ramadan (Sawm) - Islamic Fasting is not eating or drinking beverages when the sun is out, only when the moon is out.
- Charity or alms-giving (zakat) - Each year a Muslim must give money to charity (Usually 2.5% of their savings). If a person does not have much money, they can give services to others instead.
- Hajj - Pilgrimage(journey) to Mecca. Mecca is a desert city in Asia.
Five Pillars of Islam Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.