Five Pillars of Islam facts for kids
The Five Pillars are:
- The Shahadah (Declaration of faith) - Trusting and understanding the words of the Shahaadah. "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammed (SAW) is the final messenger."
- Prayer (Salah) - Praying five times a day, kneeling towards Mecca. There are specific ritualistic movements and prayers that are said.
- Charity or almsgiving (Zakat) - Each year a Muslim should give money to charity (Usually 2.5% of their savings). If a person does not have much money, they can do other things instead.
- Fasting during the month of Ramadan (Sawm)
- A pilgrimage to Mecca (Hajj) - Muslims should go to Mecca on a pilgrimage. They should do this at least once in their lives. A person does not have to make this pilgrimage if they cannot afford to, or they are physically unable to (Though they can get someone else to go on their behalf).
Images for kids
Afghan politicians and foreign diplomats praying (making salat) at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Five Pillars of Islam Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.